UK Political Thread, part the second

It’s due another airing so why not…

11 Likes

Sir Keith has been sitting on the Forde Report for over a year, but it’s finally been leaked

Here’s the sudden official release
https://www.fordeinquiry.org/forde-inquiry-report/

3 Likes

I wonder if the spoiled ballot paper was from Jamie Wallis?

4 Likes

How did it get to such a low point that Sunak is the frontrunner? And the Tories have a mandate until January 2025? We’re doomed

4 Likes

Do you know much about the other candidates? The only one who isn’t a complete bastard was Tom Tugendhat, and I’m not about to start praising him.

I expect Liz Truss will take most of Badenoch’s anti-woke votes and go on to win, which will bring a whole new meaning to “We’re doomed”.

5 Likes

I don’t follow in fine detail, but Rishi Sunak has been on the international radar ever since he defended his wife’s tax-exempt non-domiciled status on her vast income from outside Britain.

In the end, does this boil down to whoever gets the best new coverage, as decided by the newspaper barons?

2 Likes

Ah, I see you are already familiar with UK politics.

6 Likes

It’s basically first rounds are a runoff where the MPs vote, then second round the party members pick the winner from the last two standing. A bit like running a party primary with the worst voters in the country deciding who’s president, to put it in context. The Tories do this a lot.

3 Likes

Sack the PM, pretend to vote on a new leader (it’ll be Sunak) and then claim the next General Election will be in 5 years time.

It has worked quite a few times. For them, obviously, the rest of us are fucked.

5 Likes
3 Likes

Just one correction to that article

IT workers in former Yorkshire mining villages forced to join pickets by Met South Yorkshire police officers who then beat them.

(Yes, that song was about the Hillsborough disaster, but it was the same bastards responsible for Orgreave)

4 Likes

Nobody knows (or, if they do, they aren’t telling) how many or few people will be voting, so presumably the total numbers will never be known either. The Thatcher cosplayer is the favourite amongst the membership at the moment according to various polls (but how do they take those polls beyond sticking a finger in the air?).

2 Likes

Online polls on the front page of conservativehome?

(I’m only half joking. I’ve definitely seen that used as a barometer of the conservative base before)

3 Likes

it’ll be Sunak

I’m not sure you can underestimate the collective spite of Tory party members. They loved Johnson, blame Sunak for knifing him and are just batshit enough to vote against him for those reasons alone, never mind that the result is PM Truss.

6 Likes

I’d say that a Human Rights Judicial Review would put a stop to such fuckwittery, but then they plan to fuck with the HRA and remove us from the jurisdiction of the European Court of Human Rights, so…

FUUUUUUUCKKKKKK!!! Christ, I hate these bastards so much.

I’d be a danger to myself if I were ever to find myself in close physical proximity to people like Priti Vacant - I’d probably end up with some severe injuries from assorted police persons.

3 Likes

The entire speech bears re-reading on a regular basis. Including the bit about Toryism being nothing more than organised spivvery.

2 Likes

The dates may change but Tory fuckery is the same whatever the year.

That is why no amount of cajolery, and no attempts at ethical or social seduction, can eradicate from my heart a deep burning hatred for the Tory Party that inflicted those bitter experiences on me. So far as I am concerned they are lower than vermin. They condemned millions of first-class people to semi-starvation. Now the Tories are pouring out money in propaganda of all sorts and are hoping by this organised sustained mass suggestion to eradicate from our minds all memory of what we went through. But, I warn you young men and women, do not listen to what they are saying now. Do not listen to the seductions of Lord Woolton. He is a very good salesman. If you are selling shoddy stuff you have to be a good salesman. But I warn you they have not changed, or if they have they are slightly worse than they were.”

“But after today the weak will be entitled to clamour. After a while the newspapers in the hands of our enemies will give the impression that everything is going wrong. Don’t be deceived, it is then that they will start going right. We are the people to whom the people can complain. I shall be unmoved by the newspapers, but moved by the distress.”

“In 1945 and 1946, we were attacked on our housing policy by every spiv in the country – for what is Toryism, except organized spivery? They wanted to let the spivs loose.”

4 Likes
2 Likes

The last time I needed a visa to visit a family member was my last trip to the GDR in 1988.

6 Likes
4 Likes