UK Political Thread, part the second

The green party in Ireland ran an anti-choice candidate last election. Mind you voters stayed away in droves.

Mind you the Irish green party went into government with the two right wing parties and essentially is in the process of purging their progressive members. Some of whom voted against the programme for government and are in parliament.

Fucking Gaelers on bikes."

*They benefited from my last transfer to be the last elected candidate in the People’s Republic of South Central Dublin, but he and his partner (Mayor of Dublin) are being sidelined from the party.

3 Likes

Well he’s not wrong (Mark Steel that is). Martin was one of the more rabid, foaming at the mouth brexiters so i hope he suffers the consequences. Plus their food has always been shit.

2 Likes

1 Like

I don’t really see him squirming there. Waffling incoherently, sure, but there’s no sign of self awareness in that video.

2 Likes

Well no, we’ve seen the relationship that brexiters have to the truth and reality in the past and their belief that if the government had just somehow ‘brexited harder’ we wouldn’t be in this mess!

https://simonubsdell.wixsite.com/website/post/reality-is-not-reality-when-it-comes-to-brexit

5 Likes

I know 18-24 are far from the most reliable voting age group, but this looks really bad for the future of the Labour party. The Green party will be happy though.

2 Likes

ETA: George Galloway and the Workers Party of Britain are just as toxic as the far right. The Party was founded by CPGB-ML activists, and both parties have a TER agenda. I still can’t work out if they think I am petty bourgeois or lumpenproletariat, but maybe it’s not worth focusing on.

2 Likes

Please don’t give that turd time in your brain.

2 Likes

These people do not suffer from an over-abundance of schooling.

1 Like

Didn’t stand firm enough on bigotry. He got elected becaus his predecessor wasn’t hard-line bigot enough. Stories of threats and bullying abounded during that process and some people left the party over it.

2 Likes

21 days in the job, and he was ousted because he didn’t obstruct the formation of a new Stormont Executive hard enough.

Same old DUP. Still the party of No, No, No.

3 Likes

Wow.

7 Likes

I wonder is plain obvious incompetence, corruption, cronyism, racism, and all round bigotry just a bit too much for some Tories now they’ve got Brexit out of their system?

4 Likes
8 Likes

Possibly. But more likely it’s NIMBY-ism:

5 Likes

Chesham and Amersham voted remain. What happened here was that the Labour vote and disillusioned remainer Tories switched to Lib Dem.

Labour party members are required to vote Labour if they want to keep being members, so that means that they only persuaded 22 people to vote for them. It turns out that the red wall chasing policies are not appealing to people outside the red wall.

Labour were never going to win this seat, the only time they came second there was (surprisingly) at the peak of Corbyn’s popularity in 2017 (Not even Blair managed that in 1997), but losing the deposit should be seen as an embarrassment. We need new leadership.

ETA:

Hoping this is true. There are other people I would prefer to have as leader, but Angela Rayner wouldn’t have to offer much to get my support. She has been a reliable trans ally in the Labour party.

6 Likes

Just out of curiosity, how is that checked/enforced?

1 Like

Generally it isn’t, but if a Labour party member goes around saying that they voted for or will vote for another party they will be suspended as soon as the party finds out (voting for unity candidates is allowed if approved by the party leadership). I wasn’t a member when I voted for other parties.

Personally I am hanging on by a thread, I almost don’t care if they kick me out, but even with Starmer’s epic incompetence Labour are still the best chance we have.

6 Likes

I see… Thanks!

Sometimes you can answer a question without saying a word.

7 Likes