UK Politics Thread

That is a profoundly depressing read today of all days, it should come with a trigger warning. What to choose for the pull quote? At the risk of quoting the entire thing i think i’ll go with this…

I look around the country that raised me and I see a place made crabbed, narrow, and suspicious, nursing what remains of its rotten pride after eight years of pointless austerity that only made us a duller and drabber place. We used to be a cultural powerhouse. Now we’re trying to interest global markets in major exports that appear to be largely marmite, political equivocation, and Ed Sheeran. So much has been lost, and there will be so much more loss to come, even for those who were convinced they had nothing to lose.

2 Likes

Hopefully, now that A50 has actually been triggered and negotiating can start, the brexiters who are blithely imagining that they can have their cake and eat it are going to get a very rude awakening.

I hope and suspect that every proposal that the UK sets forward will go like this:
“So, what would it take to allow $thing_we_want”
“Free movement of people.”

6 Likes

My favourite so far was May’s “a more outward-looking” Britain. She must be referring to all the extra border guards they’ll need.

I’m quietly confident that this doesn’t end with me getting deported (although it would almost be worth it to see the immigration wagons rounding up scores of anglo-saxons for a change), but I still have this powerful urge to rewatch Children of Men and get drunk on Scottish beer tonight.

4 Likes

I was watching the debate in Parliament over the Great Repeal Bill (anagrams: Legit Pallbearer; Large Pill Rebate), but couldn’t take it any more. Even though I lived in England pre-Maastricht and thought it wasn’t completely terrible, that long dark stretch between the end of WWII and the flourishing of the EU is just a really strange time for Brits to get nostalgic for, and the people in charge seems to have no idea at all about what will happen next.

1 Like

Ahh yeah, the great repeal bill. AKA the bill that’ll allow us to jettison all those pesky EU laws and regulations we don’t like such as worker’s rights, environmental protections, data protection, basic human rights etc.

1 Like

Well, that was as direct a response as you could expect.

The Scottish Labour MPs voted against calling the referendum? Yeah, that’s going to help Labour in the next election.

May surely understands how hypocritical “now is not the time” sounds in the current climate, sheesh.

2 Likes

The Labour Party is on a suicide mission. It won’t rest until everyone detests it.

Doesn’t stand for anything, won’t oppose the Conservatives at all. Right now it’s as much use as a chocolate teapot.

4 Likes

From the Guardian

Personally I think all the Brexit own goals will look like this from now on

6 Likes

It’s worse than that.

At least I can eat a chocolate teapot. Labour are completely useless in every way.

2 Likes

Maybe MPs should listen to Gibraltar, who voted to stay in the EU because they knew this would happen.

7 Likes

People surprised by entirely predictable thing, news at 11.

So the UK wants to negotiate what happens after exit before agreeing the terms of the exit, and have been told to piss off by France and Germany. They’re trying to use EU citizens and security concerns to blackmail the EU into giving them what they want, and they’re drawing lines in the sand that Spain won’t accept, who, like all other 26 members, have a veto over the trade deal that the UK needs.

And the first step of leaving is to enshrine all those EU laws they hate so much into UK law.

This is going to go brilliantly.

What price 10/20 years of omnishambles, then a return to the EU, only minus all those vetos they fought so hard for, and having to give up the pound?

7 Likes

I thought you guys might enjoy this comic about Farage and the evolution of Brexit:

6 Likes

That was amazing quality. Stomach churning material, but beautifully executed art.

1 Like

I’ll give that a like for superb presentation but certainly not for content. As will self put it, fa-ridge and his ilk are - “grubby little opportunists who are riding the coattails of history”.

Meanwhile, this appears to be who we are now…

3 Likes

As a historian, I approve of this conceptualization. It’s perfect and I think quite truthful.

5 Likes

Yeah, well, as he says in the clip, elder statesmen they most surely are not. Greasy, bloated meatbags filled with rot and disease on the other hand…

2 Likes

The whole West it seems, rotting from within.

3 Likes

But tell us how you REALLY feel about them!

Seriously, I quite agree with you.

2 Likes

This negotiating lark is going well, eh?

5 Likes