UK Politics Thread

Fuck’s sake, man. At this stage, I’m hoping for a party coup so Ken bloody Clarke can save us all. How bad is that?

7 Likes

The Torygraph wants a war, it seems.

1 Like

As a quick aside - i always admire writers who can write the perfect description of putrid foulness. I think philip k dick was always good at describing the utterly bleak despair of a scene…

In the moth-ridden darkness of night, a dim wind stirred, chill and faint. Dense underbrush rattled metallically. Here and there a nocturnal rodent prowled, its senses hyper-alert, peering, planning, seeking food.

The area was wild. No human settlements existed for miles; the entire region had been seared flat, cauterised by repeated H-bomb blasts. Somewhere in the murky darkness, a sluggish trickle of water made its way among slag and weeds, dripping thickly into what had once been an elaborate labyrinth of sewer mains. The pipes lay cracked and broken, jutting up into the night darkness, overgrown with creeping vegetation. The wind raised clouds of black ash that swirled and danced among the weeds. Once an enormous mutant wren stirred sleepily, pulled its crude protective night coat of rags around it and dozed off.

For a time, there was no movement. A streak of stars showed in the sky overhead, glowing starkly, remotely.

2 Likes
7 Likes

The Spanish rhetoric about this since the runup to the Brexit vote has been at least as inflammatory as that of May, Fallon, and Lord Howard. Maybe the Spanish should stop talking about “planting a flag” on Gibralter?

I can’t imagine that the rest of the EU has much more patience for this nonsense from Spain as they do for the nonsense from the UK, and they likely only were willing to include it as a smack-in-the-face response to Article 50.

dunno. Spain remains a member, the UK wants out. “He may be a bastard, but he is our bastard!” is true for countries, too.

2 Likes

This is relevant, I believe:

2 Likes

But it was obvious that this would happen. Now, instead of being a member of an imperfect EU, we’re talking about a potential war against one of it’s members. That is not an improvement.

2 Likes

I agree on all 3 counts. Note however that when I pointed out the Gibralter issue here months ago I was accused of hyperbole.

I think I found the comment, that was back when we thought that Britain couldn’t be stupid enough to vote for Brexit.

Ah, the good old days when I was optimistic and naïve.

4 Likes

Nah, there was one Spanish(?) guy (in the same thread?).

I think the Brits were just dumb enough to give the Spanish some leverage over something that otherwise would have been ignored forever.

I also suspect - from what I saw Jack Straw has said, and how he’s acted in the past, and from the way Corbyn generally does things, that Labour will support joint-sovereignty, which will just harm them further in the polls.

2 Likes

And they use it, the class Political driving trollies was passed with an excellent grade.

4 Likes

That one amuses me too.

Although we’ll see what happens if Catalonia really does make a proper bid for independence.

4 Likes

the Grand Coalation of PP and PSOE will try to block any “proper bid”, based on legalese.

if the current minority government by Rajoy survives the legislative period (and this is not certain) the general elections in 2020 may change the situation.

2 Likes

Back in the 80s, when the UK and France were discussing the possibility of operating nuclear subs together, my local paper (Hull Daily Mail) was full of horrified letters arguing that the traditional enemy (France) was a far greater threat to Blighty than the USSR.

2 Likes

Wait… what? Why do they care about an independent Scotland? Is it really only because they fear Catalonian independence? Really?

2 Likes

yes, splitting up the country is a nightmare for Madrid. one the one hand simply nationalistic traditions (the House of Bourbon must not perish! Franco would be mad!), on the other hand is Catalonia the economical power house. oh, and the unresolved issue of Basque plays a role.

4 Likes

Lots of well thought out anger here.

1 Like

11 Likes

Much better than dealing with those nasty Europeans.

4 Likes