Theresa May faces a no confidence vote today

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/12/12/pm-bojo.html

6 Likes

frontrunners are Boris Johnson

Oh god, Why?

19 Likes

Because they’re Tories.

It’s not like the rest of them (Gove, Rudd, Leadsome, Hunt and Javid) are wonderful people. Thankfully Jacob Rees-Mogg doesn’t appear to be in the list, but I won’t breathe a sigh of relief until I know for certain.

12 Likes

tumblr_m7kfufL9E21rs3zxi

14 Likes

and the comments are especially good today

I’d argue that the comments are rarely if ever good.

2 Likes

why boris johnson

9 Likes

The Guardian is reporting that May seems to have enough votes to pass, but it will be close. Possibly close enough to be an effective loss, if not an official one. I make a guess that she’ll do whatever she can to cling to office and not resign.

7 Likes

It really puts the UK in fUcKed, in a fucked up sort of way.

6 Likes

She seems to have a habit of doing that, judging by the last general election

2 Likes

Oh dear Theresa, this is all dreadfully unpleasant. Stiff upper lip and all.

4 Likes

I wonder how many American readers would notice if half the names in this story were made up. I know I wouldn’t. Let’s try this:

The assumption above is that the party will gravitate around a centrist, which is how May had positioned herself, and reject Boris. I believe Bethingham has tried to position himself that way, so I am not sure he should be written off so quickly, particularly since he has more Cabinet experience than Swole, who is still pretty wet behind the ears. Then again, we may be making a mistake to discount the animosity between Lord Grantham and Pastings, which as we all recall sprang from perceived slight in the 60th North Umbridge Wicket celebration at Puddingshire.

See what I mean? Indistinguishable.

2 Likes

Having found a long and elaborate way of shooting themselves in the foot, the Tories are proceeding to shoot themselves in the other foot. The next UK general election is going to be very… interesting.

Also, obligatory:

16 Likes

Isn’t he basically the UK edition of Drumpf?

2 Likes

Given the list of current replacement options, I’d rather keep the ineffective devil we know. And now I’ve said something publicly that supports Theresa May, I think I’ll go shove an ice-cube up my arse and make sure it actually melts.

6 Likes

Have they tried an exorcism to compel the Thatcher demon to leave her body?

4 Likes

Jacob Rees-Mogg has been about as clear as an MP can be that he won’t be running.

As in, he’s flat out said he won’t be rather than the politician’s usual “it’s not for me to say, but if one’s colleagues were to put one forward…”

Still doesn’t mean he won’t stand of course but I think it’s extremely unlikely. I think he knows perfectly well that he’ll do fine as a wacky back-bench MP but he doesn’t want the hassle or scrutiny of being PM. He’d have to give up his rather lucrative employment for one thing (and moving his time machine/stasis chamber to No. 10 would be difficult).

6 Likes

She was heard to say: “Where am I going, and why am I in this handbasket?”

13 Likes

In this case he’s not wrong…

I’d disagree with those who say that most people don’t care and that there won’t be any unrest if Brexit gets canceled (those who care, care a lot and they’re getting loonier) but otherwise there’s some good stuff in the comments.

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind them shooting themselves in the foot if they weren’t standing on our heads at the time.

9 Likes

burningcouch

5 Likes