Theresa May faces a no confidence vote today

Never underestimate the Tory MP’s survival instinct, this is seen in the eyes of the publice as mostly a move from the hardcore Brexit faction of the party, orchestrated by Jacob Rees-Mogg. Resoundly winning the vote will expose him for the chancer he is and give the Tories a boost in perceived competence, one of the long term themes they manage to secure votes on.

Remaining committed to Brexit without a deal (There only been 111 days until Brexit) look truly frightening and non of the prospective candidates have a positive approval rating.

Also a hardline Brexit PM still has to face the House having a meaningful vote on the deal, mess around with the House too much we get the prospect of a General Election before Brexit (Which takes a mandatory 6 weeks).

To call this a garbage fire is an insult to garbage fires everywhere.

1 Like

And the supposed “centrist” on that list is the guy who implied that the good common people of the UK have “had enough of experts.” Like Il Douche, the hard Brexiters are all about trusting one’s gut instead of listening to someone who, y’know, spent decades studying an issue and working on it.

Meanwhile, as calls for a “People’s Vote” (i.e. do-over referendum) continue to grow Corbyn continues to waffle instead of taking a strong stand in favour of something that very likely could make this all go away.

As he was in the inter-war years, Yeats is once again the poet of the times: “The best lack all conviction, while the worst/Are full of passionate intensity.”

Also, obligatory:

10 Likes

I found this the other day and submitted it to BB, but it was never posted.

As usually Serkis does an amazing job. And he pulled off the look very well, I think.

1 Like

Gove gets the PM’ship
Bails on Brexit, undoes Article 50
Sacrificed/stabbed in the back for the greater good of the party
Jeremy Hunt becomes PM
Shit show returns to normal
Corbyn continues to shout ineffectually

Hey, it’s possible.

6 Likes

Boris Johnson may be a liar, a womaniser, a liar, a selfish oaf, a liar, an unreliable ally, a liar, a charlatan, a liar, a latent racist, a liar, an out of touch toff, a liar, a reckless short-termist, a liar, an adulterer, a liar, a libertarian lunatic, a liar, a populist buffoon, and a liar - but he’s no Drumpf.

For starters, he reads at an adult level. In at least two languages (English and Latin). His expensive education had at least some elements that stuck. He’s also not massively corrupt, and has never used his own charity to enrich himself, or purposefully stiffed suppliers.

Basically Boris has some morals. Not many, and they’re loose, but he has some. He also has some education - not much, and nothing practical, but it’s there. He’s not as bad as Drumpf.

Has it come to this? We’re having to defend one of our worst politicians from accusations that they’re as bad as Drumpf? Shit, our two countries really have fallen, haven’t they?

17 Likes

Link missing, buddy.

Was it this?

4 Likes

I still won’t believe it until it is impossible for him to run. Call it a healthy amount of paranoia.

Don’t forget ancient Greek.

6 Likes

Something horrifying I only just found out: Sajid Javid is a hardcore Ayn Rand fan.
And here I thought he was one of the more reasonable candidates!

3 Likes

I wonder how many British readers would notice if half the names were made up

4 Likes

To be fair, how many members of the United States Congress could non-Americans name? [On a sadder note, consider how many members many Americans could name? Beyond those who ran for President in the last presidential election and maybe those from their state and/or district, probably not many.]

2 Likes

Anyone, anywhere in the world, who after age 25 recommends “Atlas Shrugged” as an inspirational text should immediately receive a life-long ban from elected or appointed government service.

12 Likes

I wish that I could believe that half of the shit they have done is made up.

5 Likes

The UK has my sympathies; when it comes to government, it seems y’all are almost as fucked as the US is.

6 Likes

And french well enough to be interviewed on live TV in it.

And he writes his own books.

But Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson was born in the USA and does lie constantly - so there are similarities.

5 Likes

We’re probably worse off. You get a chance to fix things in two years time, but the way things currently are we have to wait for the brexiters to die off before we reapply to join the EU. And the EU have good reasons to just tell us “no!”

That’s why a People’s Vote with Remain as an option is so important.

11 Likes

If this were normal times I’d agree - but it’s not normal. Some conservatives have been voting against their own minority government over Brexit (on both sides of the argument) and some Labour MPs have been voting with the government (mostly rabid brexiteers).

In this fucking shambles of a parliament, I would expect her to hang on even with a majority of 1 - She hung on as PM (in the GE) with less.

2 Likes

This is the decade “shut up and hold my beer” became a political ideal.

15 Likes

In reality BoJo is Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson

2 Likes

If things go tits up, you have plenty of time before the deadline. plenty of time.

2 Likes

It’s UK news, so we just assume half the names are made up.

3 Likes