UK Politics Thread

as first EU institution the European Parliament defined outlines for the Brexit negotiations. nothing unexpected, but gives a roadmap for the coming years - and the resolution was supported by a huge majority, only right-wing and EU-sceptical parties voted against it

2 Likes

Nigel Farage, who earlier in the debate accused the EU of behaving like the mafia in making “impossible demands"

Moron.

3 Likes

Seems to me that, between the EU and the UK, only one party made the other an offer they couldn’t refuse.

And it wasn’t the EU.

1 Like

Oh good, a general election while Labour is still divided.

3 Likes

It would be nice if they could just grow the fuck up, aye.

3 Likes

Labour has got it wrong again. Corbyn says there will be no obstacle to an early election. Just when parliament ought to fight back in its own defence and resist the call for a general election, the leader of the opposition does just the opposite. He should hurl May’s own words back in her face. All those calls for stability, and for healing, and for no cheap tricks with election timing: they should be weaponised. This is no way to heal. It is a deliberate attempt to bulldoze MPs over the cliff. She thinks they won’t dare to say they are not prepared to go to the country.

But of course, that is not the point: the point is that MPs and peers, without disrespecting the intent of the no vote, are determined to make the outcome of Brexit a thought-through, coherent outcome that will protect the economy, the rights of EU citizens here and British citizens abroad, and preserve important social and environmental protections. Without them as a sea anchor, without the cover of a reluctant parliament, May really will go naked into the negotiating chamber.

1 Like

And here we go- more nonsense from westminster. It feels increasingly like the people of this country are chained to a zombie- we’re shuffling forward into the destruction of everything that makes life worth living, accompanied by westminster politics that gives off an air of putrefaction.

Where’s a shotgun when you need it?

2 Likes

#Make June the End of May

7 Likes

I’ve said it before and i’ll say it again, she is an authoritarian overlord and that howling wind you hear through the mics at the lectern might as well be a harbinger of the things to come eh? That speech… wow, it’s just a kick in the face of democracy, isn’t it? Anyone guessing just how much of a majority she’s gonna get out of this? They’ve got the ukip vote sewn up.

1 Like

It looks like the Labour NEC will be selecting candidates for the election, rather than the local parties. All current MPs will be reselected automatically.

Well, that’ll help.

1 Like

Rob Ford lookalike Eric Pickles is stepping down

It’s just a shame that he’s going to be replaced with another Tory MP.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Great. Now the Labour party wants the Green Party to stand aside in Oxford East, as part of the anti-Tory coalition which they are both trying to form.

I don’t care if the Green party don’t have a candidate here, I’m not voting Labour (or Lib-Dem, the other party involved in the discussion). Too many betrayals, and the Tories or Ukip don’t have any hope of winning here.

(I haven’t removed myself from the Oxford Labour party mailing list yet, and I don’t intend to until after the general election. I’m waiting to see what happens before I join the Green Party. There’s nothing on those mailing lists that isn’t public anyway.)

1 Like

It’s nice to see my MP, Theresa Villiers, on Open Britain’s hit-list, I didn’t bother voting in the last election because there wasn’t a credible candidate running against her, and I’d never vote Labour or Green anyway. The Lib Dems have unfortunately picked the same candidate (who came 5th the last time), but I guess she might have an outside chance if she’s the only decent alternative and the Open Britain campaign funds can help her run a decent campaign this time.

What i’d give to see that smug complacency wiped off the faces of those tory pricks…

1 Like

So who would be the ideal candidate to satisfy you? This election presents nothing but a stark choice between a crumbling infrastructure and a small hope that there has to be something better.

1 Like

Strangely, I’m actually quite optimistic that it will happen.

1 Like

You can have a like for optimism. :slight_smile:

1 Like