UK Politics Thread

Ha! I’m in the People’s Rerublic of Brighton & Hove so it’s more likely just delusion :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

I doubt such a thing exists. If I find one politician I agree with one thing on, I usually find ten things I disagree with them on.

So not bother at all then? I just think we’re at a stage now where a choice has to be made, every vote counts.

Not at all, it’s important to prioritise whatever you think is most important. Also, voting intelligently is important, voting your conscience can be incredibly dumb and damaging to society at large (especially when dealing with a highly unrepresentative FPTP system) though there are times when you have that luxury (e.g. I won’t begrudge someone in California who voted for the Jill Stein too much, just a role of the eyes would suffice, but it would be the height of stupidity to have done that in Michigan or Florida) - in Ireland you could just vote your conscience with your first preference, and least worst alternative as second preference, totally avoiding that problem. Ideally I’d like to see as many LibDems elected as possible, but if I didn’t think there was much chance from them in my constituency and Labour were in with a chance I’d probably hold my nose and vote for them, as long as the candidate wasn’t extreme left and/or anti-europe (so saying ‘never’ earlier was a bit of an exaggeration I guess). We’ll find out on Tuesday who the Labour candidate is going to be.

The informal progressive alliances this time round are absolutely crucial and it seems there’s real galvanisation around it. I’d vote lib dem in a lib dem/tory marginal and have a scorching hot shower afterwards. Tim Farron’s all over the place, with today’s comment about being ‘a bit eurosceptic’, I just can’t take him seriously.

Are you in Brighton?

No, I mentioned before Theresa Villiers is my MP, am in north London.

Apologies and my sympathy!

There aren’t enough drugs in the world to frame Tim Farron in a light where I could take him seriously.

2 Likes

So, local elections day. Is it bad that I just want to hide already?

1 Like

So which leader could you take seriously, given the requisite amount of drugs?

I’d like a decent socially democratic PM, but seeing as Corbyn can’t get behind the requisite spin needed to sell him as that, I’d be open to offers. Fuck, I’d take Ken Clarke and a box of Tramadol over the current shitshow. He’s a tory bastard, but a relatively sane, predictably corrupt one.
Lil’ timmy, however, wants shooting out of a circus cannon into the Thames.

3 Likes

I would love to hear your reasoning behind why Ken Clarke (chairman of British American Tobacco) is more worthy of being taken seriously than Tim Farron. Farron has been victim of a lot of unjust smears of late, but he seems to be a fundamentally decent sort to me.

Well, I did say I’d need the Tramadol, and that he’s a scumbag :wink: I just think Farron’s ineffectual and seriously conflicted in his beliefs as opposed to the LD party line. And I still haven’t forgiven them for Nick Clegg and the coalition. Hell, I voted for them in the 2010 election as I hated Blairite Labour so much…

2 Likes

Which beliefs? I think he’s been pretty clear on why there’s no conflict between his beliefs and his liberal values. He’s not a fundamentalist Christian, many evangelicals are, but it’s not a requirement. He has a flawless record on LGBT rights (please ignore attempts to smear him in that regard), despite a faith-based personal stance against Abortion is a supporter of the law as it stands, is in favour of the disestablishment of the CoE, is against faith schools… not sure what else is left after that?

I never had a problem with the coalition, seems to me the people who got upset with them over it were just unaware what coalitions entailed, coming from Ireland I knew what to expect. The main thing they cocked up there was the alternative vote referendum, they should’ve held out for a proper question rather than the watered down alternative they ended up with, though even that probably wouldn’t have passed. The tuition fees thing wasn’t a big deal. They undoubtedly helped curtail the Tories’ excesses, and the country was in drastic need of getting shot of Labour so I’m glad they didn’t form a coalition with them.

We have a cross post with Fuck Today.

Some fucker removed me from the electoral register.

At least I found out today and not next month. I still don’t get to vote in the local elections though.

2 Likes

Tuition fees not a big deal?! Coming out of education with around £40,000 of debt? No big deal?!

5 Likes

Well that’s my optimism out of the window. The years & years of nasty rhetoric about evil immigrants and the dark force of the EU is paying off nicely.

2 Likes

The Conservatives have just lost Henley-on-Thames in the Oxfordshire county council elections :laughing:

The Green Party was wiped out though (by Labour) :frowning:

4 Likes

Excellent! The Greens did make some gains though, a pinprick of light.

What? WHY? Are they allowed to do that?

1 Like