UK Politics Thread

There’ll be around 10 unionist MPS (DUP & UUP).

1 Like

Looks like the US Congress in the mid-19th century.

Not a great result for Labour that, the exit poll was predicting a Tory loss of vote share, and a Labour increase of 20% (they only got 10%). Which could mean the exit poll is completely wrong. Same true in the 2nd declaration, Conservative swing from Labour of 3%, compared to an exit poll prediction of an increase in the Labour vote.

Then the Tories had better hope they do better than the exit polls say then. They need 12 more MPs if it is completely accurate.

Even if they do better than exit polls, and manage a slim majority, it would still be a disastrous campaign from May.

1 Like

This wasn’t an example of bigotry though, if he was a bigot do you really think he would have voted for equal marriage in the first place?

The Labour increase in Newcastle-upon-Tyne East (18.1%) look to be more in line with the exit polls

1 Like

[quote=“caze, post:347, topic:86909”]
if he was a bigot do you really think he would have voted for equal marriage in the first place?[/quote]
And if he’s not a bigot, why be evasive on clear questions?
Question: “Is gay sex a sin?” Answer from non-bigot: “No.”

Farron’s answers:
“It’s not our views on personal morality that matter.”
“To understand Christianity is to understand that we are all sinners.”
“My rights are your rights, whatever you believe, whatever I believe.”

This is not something you have to think about. If you do, then maybe you are a bigot.

1 Like

You missed out one of his answers, so let me add it for you:
“No”

Also, even if he did believe that homosexuality was a sin (which he doesn’t), that wouldn’t make him a bigot, it would just make him a Christian with a pretty standard interpretation of their religious texts.

It took him two years to come up with that answer. It should have been his first and only answer.

Also, even if he did believe that homosexuality was a sin (which he doesn’t), that wouldn’t make him a bigot

I can’t disagree with this strongly enough.

4 Likes

Then you either don’t understand the meaning of the word bigotry, or the concept of sin in Christianity. While it’s true that lots of people who think homosexuality is a sin are also bigots, there’s no direct correlation between the two facts. Those who are bigots are probably incredibly ignorant about the theological arguments, and their bigotry probably arises as a natural consequence of their general ignorance. Those who aren’t bigots you can easily spot, because they don’t hold bigoted positions when it comes to people’s civil rights (and Farron, regardless of his views on sin, clearly is fully supportive of LGBT civil rights). Making prejudiced assumptions based on someone’s religious beliefs is actually bigoted on your part.

Making prejudiced assumptions based on someone’s religious beliefs is actually bigoted on your part.

I’m not making any assumption about anyone’s religion, just quoting Farron. If he believes that his religious convictions force him to be a bigot, that’s his problem. I only care about his views, not how he arrived at them.

As for tolerance being some kind of proxy for not being a bigot, I don’t buy it. If someone tells me “you’re Jewish, but we’ll let you join our country club anyway, just like a real person,” that’s tolerance but is it also bigotry.

6 Likes

Labour gains their first seat of the night

the SNP lost Rutherglen and Hamilton West, but not by a lot.

1 Like

Sheffield Hallam, and Hastings and Rye are looking vulnerable to the Labour Party.

No tears will be shed here if Nick Clegg and Amber Rudd lose their seats.

Kensington also looks vulnerable (but unlikely).

1 Like

Yes you are, you’re assuming bigotry from a theological position (which he doesn’t even hold) that doesn’t actually imply bigotry.

If he believes that his religious convictions force him to be a bigot, that’s his problem.

well he doesn’t, so you’re the one with the problem here.

I only care about his views, not how he arrived at them.

His views are that LGBT people should be treated equally under the law, i.e. he’s not a bigot.

Maybe?

But it shows how utterly broken our first past the post is when all the devolved nations use versions of proportional representation.

Conservatives kept Carlisle :frowning:

It’s not all going Labour’s way

2 Likes

Labour have taken Vale of Clwyd from the Tories!

They increased their share of the vote by %50.

2 Likes

To be honest, i couldn’t in all good conscience vote for the labour mp in my constituency because i don’t like his rejection of proportional representation or keeping the surveillance state intact. If it wasn’t such a safe labour seat for my entire life then i would likely have voted tactically to keep the blue menace out.

2 Likes

I’m in the same situation.

I haven’t voted Labour in any general election. I might have done in 1997 if I was a few months older, but that would have been a statement against the Conservatives rather than supporting Labour.

2 Likes