UK Politics Thread

A well hung parliament then… can we get rid of this archaic system of voting now?

1 Like

You mean hand-counted paper ballots, or FPTP? I wish we still had the former in the US.

1 Like

The Lib Dems got a lot of flack for the tuition fees thing, the real mistake they made was agreeing to the shitty watered-down alternative vote referendum.

1 Like

Worse than the Electoral College?

4 Likes

I am on holiday, so haven’t been awake and following the results as they come in.

This was a fairly interesting situation to wake up to.

1 Like

Oh definitely FPTP. We’re keeping those paper ballots given the swiss cheese security holes in voting machines.

I wish i was qualified enough to even attempt an answer to that. Does seem incredibly arcane though.

3 Likes

As an American I look at how the UK parliamentary elections are done all like, “wow, that’s… kinda weird but at least it’s not the EC.”

1 Like

Well done Theresa May, you fucked that up good and proper. :laughing:

A hung parliament is pretty much confirmed now.

9 Likes

Didn’t she do well! Good game, good game. Good bye. :joy:

2 Likes

That backfired bigly.

3 Likes

[quote=“politeruin, post:407, topic:86909, full:true”]

Worse than the Electoral College?

I wish i was qualified enough to even attempt an answer to that. Does seem incredible arcane though.[/quote]
They’re not really comparable, since all elections for parliament are local. It is certainly possible for a party in the UK to lose the popular vote but have the PM - in fact, that looks like it is happening today - but it is even mathematically possible for a party to lose the popular vote yet have an outright majority and therefore the PM. In that respect it is susceptible to the same complaints that are levied against the electoral college.

Labour came very close in my constituency, Chipping Barnet, they were only 353 votes behind Theresa Villiers. That was a lot closer than I expected. Looks like it was thanks to tactical voting from the Greens, UKIP didn’t field a candidate though, which protected the Tories from that.

Caroline Lucas holds Brighton Pavillion for the Green Party :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m confused. Can someone please explain to me who the black and yellow man is?

I tried Google search by image, but it just came back with, “hat,” and I was like, yeah, no kidding.

1 Like

He’s Knigel Knapp, a member of the Monster Raving Loony party (who amusingly got 99 more votes than the last placed guy, from the Communist League, who only got 7 votes - not sure why he’d join the ballot when a Commie is going to top the poll there anyway!).

2 Likes

Anyone have a list of elections that were won by fewer than, say, 50 votes?

Heading into an absolute political omnishambles yet again but i hope she resigns. Another election in october then? :weary:

After a number of recounts, it’s gone to the SNP by 2!

It’s a shame the Standing at the Back Dressed Stupidly and Looking Stupid Party doesn’t run in those counties any more.

3 Likes

So what parties are these: DUP, SF, PC. They hold 21 seats.

Isn’t that how this works now, as they each try to form a coalition? Or does it work differwntly? I have already assumed Labour+Lib Dem+SNP on one side. Is that the case?

1 Like