UK press mostly silent on the matter of Prince William's alleged affair; Twitter ablaze

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/25/uk-press-mostly-silent-on-the.html

1 Like

Boy the Royals really have it made.

6 Likes

Speaking as a resident of Liverpool is this ‘Sun’ you speak of still a thing?

13 Likes

There’s no way this is racist, is there?

9 Likes

I was hoping ‘Twitter ablaze’ was literal, sadly disappointed.

23 Likes

It’s the big fusion reactor in the sky, which is also a good place to send Rupert Murdoch and his press empire.

18 Likes

Libel laws could factor in just a bit. Writing about the new princess’ minor missteps is low risk. Writing about an affair without some proof is far higher risk for the UK press. American press faces far less risk and has is more likely to publish rumors.

16 Likes

I thought that one of the benefits of being royal was that you could just title a bunch of people as your consorts?

Hardly seems worth it anymore…

7 Likes

I tend to think so. It could even be there is already one of those “super injunctions” about writing about it (you can’t write about it or about the injunction).

The furor directed at Markle has a pretty obvious racist aura about it, but I don’t think that comes from comparison to coverage of William. Even if they were going on about William’s affair every day their coverage of Markle would still be awful.

12 Likes

The fact that the press hungers to destroy Meghan Markle is 95% racism-related. The fact that they censor themselves re: William’s affairs (real or otherwise) is a whole other form of gross atavistic weirdness.

Considering what subhuman filth they are, the British press has a seemingly genuine, albeit demented and inconsistent, code of omerta regarding the monarch and heirs. They will rarely report anything upsetting about the Queen or Prince William, though for some reason, part of this fantasy is that the Prince of Wales will never be King, so he is considered fair game. It’s all incredibly weird and dumb and cringe-inducing.

11 Likes

Who are these people, again? And why should anyone care?

8 Likes
Cholmondeley (pronounced Chumley)

I’m starting to think English pronunciations are an in-joke.

19 Likes

Well, it can’t be down to snobbery.

1 Like

I mean, if you really drill into it, it’s a huge and interesting topic. It turns out that talking about the royal family gives license for even “respectable” papers to talk in unbelievably racist terms. But that really should not be surprising, because “hereditary privilege” and “racism” are two different terms for exactly the same thing.

People don’t like to think about it this way, but passing stuff on to your children is kind of the most racist thing you can do.

3 Likes

That probably doesn’t help; but empirically speaking “brood mare of hereditary despotism”(oh, sorry, I must have meant ‘princess’) hasn’t really been a job that involves a whole lot of progressive gender roles or freedom from double standards since roughly the invention of hereditary despotism.

4 Likes

The proletarian ones are jokes; the posh ones are affectations.

I suspect you can get disinvited from a variety of social circles by failing to correctly distinguish the two cases.

3 Likes

Featherstonehaugh = Fanshaw.
It’s trolling on a national level.

10 Likes

12 Likes
5 Likes

Obligatory; Royals
This is the first time I’ve seen this version. Since it was done in Austin, I could not help myself.

2 Likes