UK school cop convicted of assaulting 10-year-old boy with autism

Originally published at: UK school cop convicted of assaulting 10-year-old boy with autism | Boing Boing

2 Likes

But that’s how we educate children in the 21st century?

3 Likes

3105 pounds? Did you guys forget a few zeros there?

5 Likes

Maybe I’m the only one, but I feel like any “adult beats up a kid” story should automatically have the CHRIST WHAT AN ASSHOLE tag applied.

7 Likes

So his only punishment was to pay a fine?

angry legend of korra GIF

6 Likes

The headline should be “UK cop convicted…” he was employed by Merseyside Police, not the school according to the linked article. And the conviction was at the local Magistrate’s Court and upheld in Crown Court rather than a “board of his fellow officers.”

5 Likes

Today I learned that the UK has a “College of Policing Barred List”. :frowning:

7 Likes

It’s bad when just reading the headline made me say, “What the f**k?!”

2 Likes

Well thank god he didn’t actually kick the kid - but who the fuck winds up for a kick to a kid on the floor???

Does he have kid at home? Because I’d investigate if his kids were ever kicked as well.

3 Likes

A $4000 dollar fine for assaulting a child is infuriating. That he was fired and can’t be a cop again shows that however bad UK police are they haven’t reached the depths of US policing yet.

Just this morning I read about a Louisiana trooper that punched a handcuffed man that was transporting cocaine while 3 fellow officers stood by and laughed. None of the officers mentioned it at all in their report. After the judge reviewed arrest footage for the drug trial, he sent the video to prosecutors to punish the assault. The cop was suspended for 12 hours. That suspension was overturned on appeal. link

6 Likes

He was only fined £800, the rest is costs and a paltry £100 compensation.

ETA spelling correction

4 Likes

And @beschizza as per @jameswest’s post he was not a ‘school’ cop, just a cop.

He was a “school liaison officer” assigned to the school.

Separately from the criminal trial, at a police disciplinary hearing he was found guilty of gross misconduct.

Cruise retired before the force’s disciplinary process concluded, but at a hearing last month Cruise was found guilty of gross misconduct and would have been sacked if he remained on the payroll.

1 Like

And @beschizza as per @jameswest’s post he was not a ‘school’ cop, just a cop.

He was assigned specifically to the school as part of a “safe schools” program, which makes him a school cop. Local media describe him as a “school police officer”, so this isn’t a UK/US teminology clash.

He was convicted of assault in Magistrate’s court and was found to have committed gross misconduct by the board. The only thing I could readily find about the board was that it comprised of fellow officers at the department and conducted a ‘displinary process’, which is annoyingly vague, but there you go.

If you want further info, I’d trust the Liverpool Echo over the tabloids there, they’re clearly just rewriting the Echo’s reports.

2 Likes

He was a schools liaison officer employed by Merseyside Police. He’s a former police officer.

You’re right about the disciplinary board, I misread that in the article. Sorry.

The frustrating thing is police officers in these circumstances are allowed to resign before the boards can deliver a result so escape professional penalty (other than not working, of course).

Satan’s contractors must be pretty busy, what with all the Special Places in Hell that are needed these days.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.