[Read the post]

Bureaucracy:1, common-sense:0

…as usual…

6 Likes

For some reason I feel this may be payback for Donald Trump

“returning resident” not as a “permanent resident.”

WTF!

5 Likes

If a returning Permanet Resident should have ticked Returning Residient, when would anyone tick Permanent Resident?

9 Likes

from the rest of the article: it looks like this form is used whenever you return; if you’ve been out of the country for less than about two years, you’d use permanent resident.

1 Like

So where is the gentleman’s citizenship? Is he a US citizen, or is Trump going to be forced to deport him some more?

2 Likes

Similarly.

Isn’t Theresa May lovely? I think you have to prove you’re utter scum before you’re allowed to be Home Secretary.

16 Likes

One of her predecessors was Michael Howard, another was David Blunkett. You have a point.

Reading between the lines his mistake seems to have been not to take out British citizenship. Several of my relatives have dual nationality and it is generally a good idea. Not choosing to become a citizen of your country of permanent residence is definitely taking a risk.

The Home Office is not exactly famous for attracting the brightest and best, and it falls into the category of things to be treated as suspicious potentially hostile. It includes the equivalents of the US DHS and TSA, after all.

6 Likes

No doubt if you choose returning resident when you’re supposed to choose permanent resident, that choice will get you deported as well.

3 Likes

Hey, kupfernigk…do your relatives have to file taxes in both countries? I know that my father-in-law had to pay both U.S. income and taxes on income when he was working in France and China. Maybe because the company was American? But with dual citizenships, is there a tax savings (exemption)?

Oh, god. My fear its that he’ll return to the U.S. and be immediately flagged by the treasury dept. as a 48-year tax delinquent.

3 Likes

Aussie here. My neighbours are from the US. They gave up US citizenship over the tax issue.

3 Likes

It doesn’t apply at the moment because they all work in the US except one who is underage. I don’t know US tax law but my very limited understanding is that they would be liable for Federal taxes but not all those other ones you have.

2 Likes

Yeah, that’s what I always assumed. The US government thinks that people are always trying to dodge taxes when they live abroad.

My FIL had to find a tax guy in Hong Kong who was certified in both US and Chinese tax codes/laws.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure if your income is taxed abroad it won’t also be taxed here, but the paperwork to claim the exemption is kind of scary, precisely because you know some Mitt Romney type would claim every single penny was earned in Narnia.

4 Likes

Except, there are definite disadvantage of having UK citizenship over other EU citizenships. e.g. As a British citizen if you want to marry / or have made the mistake of having married a non-EU citizen you (not the pair of you) are liable to have an annual income of over £ 20 000, otherwise your spouse & any potential children you may have, cannot legally reside with you in the UK. There are over 15 000 children (British Citizens) of British Citizens who are thus separated from their biological parents. Have that for “family life”.

However, if you are German / French or citizen of any other EU country and live in Britain this crazy rule doesn’t apply, there are various other nice benefits to having the protection of the EU over arbitrary British rule making /breaking.

On the other hand, if you have a few ÂŁ Millions to spread, you might come from any number of dodgy lands and you shall be welcomed with open arms. Residency / citizenship thrown in for good measure.

I think this is commonly called, madness or the pinnacle of capitalism, depending on your perspective.

12 Likes

As a Corbynite lefty, both.

4 Likes

And @Boundegar, you still have to file, but you have a fairly substantial deduction (about $100k I seem to recall) that makes it much less of a burden.

Edit

It is a foreign tax credit on the first $100,800 of earnings.

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Tax-Credit---Choosing-To-Take-Credit-or-Deduction

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/International-Taxpayers/Foreign-Earned-Income-Exclusion

Edit

And more good times.

4 Likes

He will not be eligible for Social Security in the US, having not paid in. He won’t have any money at all, since he spent it all trying to remain in the US. He won’t be able to afford any kind of health insurance; I’m not sure if he’ll be eligible for Medicare/Medicaid. Having already had strokes and heart attacks, his health is probably not great. This deportation is life threatening. I wonder if he could apply for asylum.

5 Likes

Yeah, you should see how the various state tax laws apply for pro athletes (and I assume, entertainers). The players have tax advisers to file state returns in every state where they play because…? I’m not sure why. I know they generate ticket sales for an Arena or the owners of the home team, but their salary comes from the team for which they play.

I swear, US and state tax laws are c-r-a-z-y.

2 Likes