UK Twitter staff threaten legal action after "unlawful" mass firings

Originally published at: UK Twitter staff threaten legal action after "unlawful" mass firings | Boing Boing

3 Likes

It would seem that the only job postings at Musk’s Twitter are going to be those for unscrupulous lawyers.

4 Likes

If Musk understands that Twitter needs employees whose occupation is something other than “coder”.

6 Likes

Yeah, Musk should have waited until the “Retained EU Law” bill was enacted, and then all those pesky workers’ rights would have gone away automatically.

8 Likes

Organise :+1:

5 Likes

I’m hoping/assuming there’s a keen lawyer who will help multiple parties do a civil suit against Elon personally in order to avoid getting screwed by the bankruptcy. I especially hope this for the employees who didn’t get severance.

4 Likes

Given that the Tory back benches care more about Twitter than Britain, it will be interesting to see if the government can resist meddling in this on behalf of management (like they have been with the rail strikes).

But in fairness to Britain (if not British governments of recent decades), most core labour rights predate 1973. In fact, I read that in the early 20th century the UK’s labour movement had its own quite successful politiical party.

7 Likes

Canada has extremely employee-friendly employment law. It’s quite difficult to fire someone for any reason. Musk got around that with the Canadian Twitter office by closing the whole thing. Sadly that is allowed. I won’t be surprised if he does the same thing everywhere else, unless local laws prevent that somehow.

5 Likes

Here in Australia, even closing the office requires you to pay redundancy payments to the staff (generally 2 weeks pay per year of employment) as well as all owed benefits (such as unused leave).

Which is not to say you can’t still get out of paying the staff, you just have to declare bankruptcy. But the ATO (Australian Tax Office) checks that VERY carefully

5 Likes

As is yanking his corporate charter… :thinking:

2 Likes

Oh certainly here too. They all got paid severance, and Musk could not have gotten out of that. They’ll get it in the US as well, once the lawsuits get in front of a judge. There’s no grey area or loopholes there.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.