Ukraine astronomers report huge number of UFOs above the country

Originally published at: Ukraine astronomers report huge number of UFOs above the country | Boing Boing

4 Likes

One of my favorite authors, Robert Anton Wilson, once sat for an absurdly lengthy recorded interview that got released as “Robert Anton Wilson Explains Everything, or Old Bob Exposes His Ignorance,” and it had an exchange about UFOs that I love dearly. My apologies, because this is paraphrasing from decades-old memory:

Interviewer: So I’ve heard that you believe in UFOs.
RAW: Yes, of course I believe in them.
Interviewer: Have you ever seen one?
RAW: Yes, I see dozens of them every day.
Interviewer: You see dozens of UFOs every day?
RAW: Yes. I also see dozens of UNFOs every day: Unidentified Non-Flying Objects. Quite a lot of things I see in a given day, I have no damn idea what they actually are.

Love that man. Miss that man.

23 Likes

15 km/s = 33,554 mph = mach 43.7 (at sea level).

Whatever it is, it’s REALLY fast. That’s about twice the orbital speed of the Space Shuttle.

11 Likes

Hail, Discordia! Hail, Eris!

9 Likes

I thought drone of some kind maybe

2 Likes

UFOs over a war zone? Weird, it’s almost as if “UFOs” were human-made military aircraft, floating/flying surveillance devices and instrument glitches this whole time

That kind of speed suggests an instrument artifact of some sort, rather than a physical object moving through the sky, though. If something was zipping around in the atmosphere at twice the speed of a hypersonic ICBM, I rather think quite a lot of people would be paying attention, and not just in Ukraine. It’d be hard to not notice it.

Uh, no. The only way humans have gotten anything in the 33,000mph speed range is by launching it with a fucking huge rocket and then slingshotting it around the sun. The one exception was a four inch piece of metal - that got launched by the full explosive power of a nuclear bomb (the bomb being detonated underground and the only opening capped by the metal disk).

13 Likes

That’s about twice the speed of their current Hypersonic Glide Vehicle…

5 Likes

And about twice the speed of the X-37B which is listed at 17,426 mph (28,044 km/h). So it’s possible the US has something that could double that speed – in orbit.

5 Likes

Maybe Putin sunk all of their military budget into some ultra-fast, ultra small vehicle and that why all the rest of their gear is utter trash.

14 Likes

The Wolverines tag is a nice touch.

17 Likes

Fuzzy blob

17 Likes

It describes a specific type of UFO the researchers call “phantoms” that is an “object [that] is a completely black body that does not emit and absorbs all the radiation falling on it.”

Dammit, Kapoor!

10 Likes

So help me, I thought this was a gif…

(is it?)

2 Likes

Consequently, Ukrainians are reporting a lot of MoFo’s leaving their country as well.

15 Likes

Anything real moving like that would make a sonic boom and a glowing trail like a meteor

8 Likes

Or. they are a lot closer than they speculate. The actual measurement is in degrees. Then they say that “phantoms” are usually “this” high in the atmosphere in order to determine a speed. If they were much closer then they would not be going that fast.
This makes it seem like. the astronomers are a bit naive.
“Karl, you left the lamp on and it’s reflecting in the lens … again.”
“Oh, … fuck.”

7 Likes

“Damn bugs are flying across the sensor again, Karl. Turn that lamp off already!”

6 Likes
6 Likes

What is it that astronomers do again?

2 Likes

What kind of alien being would possibly be attracted to a war-zone?

2 Likes