Undercover cop aims gun at photographer at Oakland protest of police killings

From everything I hear about police infiltration in Australia, that is entirely the point.

7 Likes

People who are victims of similar unprovoked violence often choose to arm themselves.

Yea exactly, which “other agency” is this?

1 Like

Just add chanting, whatever it is (e.g. “The x united will never be defeated”, - that sort of thing), the press describe the demo as “Rowdy”. There y’go. Done. I’ve been in Mayday marches where that’s happened ffs.

5 Likes

So that when the cops shoot them, they can be vilified as well as dead?

3 Likes

It started with Menace II Society. In context, the character is holding the gun sideways in order to reach over the counter and shoot the fallen/cowering cashier. Wrists aren’t built to be able to correctly aim a gun downwards over an obstacle like that, so sideways is the more practical option. Shortly afterwards it was picked up as a style thing by wannabe hoods and ignorant filmmakers.

2 Likes

Other sources are pointing at CHP. Why the Highway Patrol has undercover officers at a protest is beyond me.

5 Likes

“…witnessed the undercover agent’s activity… encouraging protesters to loot and commit other crimes”

This is so common that it should be expected at every such event. The tactic is to de-legitimize the reason for the protest and to portray the protesters as lawless criminals who should be (and are) punished, while propagandizing consumers of the “News”. Thus, the status quo is maintained.

7 Likes

You guys are telling the cop how to hold his gun but how do you know that the photograph wasn’t taken at a moment right when he was moving his gun into position?

Also, he was justified because things might get violent. In one protest, a cop was sucker punched in the head by a protester from the side. With the tension in the protests, the cops are right to reveal their gun in order to prevent people from getting closer on them.

Because it was pointing at someone’s face

9 Likes

The image could be taken at a moment when he was moving his gun into position hence the angle.

“images” - Plural

2 Likes

His finger being off the trigger is trigger discipline. This means he did not plan on using it immediately. Rather, the gun was up to warn the protesters not to get any closer.

If he had plans to immediately use it, his finger would be on the trigger, ready to fire. But that is not the case.

Not waving loaded guns at people’s faces is gun discipline. He was quite clearly doing that.

16 Likes

Welcome to BoingBoing, police apologist!

A whole 5 minutes passed between your joining and your defending this particular cop’s action.

I invite you to read down through the thread. It’s been established he’s not Oakland PD, and Oakland PD doesn’t know who the hell he is.

Most people regard having a pistol leveled at their face as a threat of deadly force. It’s kind of hard to see, from the business end of a pistol, whether or not the person who can kill you with the the movement of his index finger has that finger on the trigger or not.

So, let’s see how long you last before the Don’t-Push-Your-Luck Dragon flies through.

11 Likes

There’s two different images, with what appears to be very different positioning of both the person with the gun and the photographer. It’s slightly possible, but pretty unlikely, that he was repeatedly shifting the gun into and out of that position and the photographer happened to catch it in that position two different times.

Revealing a gun is one thing. Actively pointing a gun at people is not what police are supposed to do to simply “prevent people from getting closer”.

6 Likes

I believe the top photo is misattributed to Noah Berger from Reuters instead of Michael Short from SFGate.

Here is the photo on Michael Short’s Facebook page.

The two of them have very similar photos from that night but the image of the gun aimed directly at the viewer seems to be Mr. Short’s instead of Mr Berger’s.

2 Likes

“The police state will fall, you can’t arrest us all.”

2 Likes

Who is the mystery outside agency?

3 Likes

Uh huh. “Moving his gun into position” my hairy ass…

You mean because he was instigating the violence…

Several protesters took to Twitter to say that the undercover officers had instigated acts of vandalism and were banging on windows alongside others.

14 Likes