Underrated and overrated films (and other general filmy chat)

Yeah, linklater seems to enjoy putting him in some of his films, fuck knows why. He’s in a scanner darkly as well but i refuse to let that be a reason to stop it being one of my favourite films; on the plus side he does get tased and shoved into the back of a van.

2 Likes

Everyone seems to be doing that now. I just want one platform where I can get everything for a single price.

3 Likes

16 Likes

Do they show up in video?

2 Likes

I haven’t actually gone back and watched it with this idea in mind yet, just been replaying my memories (from a similar bajillion viewings) of it. I’m thinking the kinda weird ‘love’ scene maybe would make a little more sense, she’s sort of fleeing to him after learning what she is because she knows he is a kindred spirit.
She’s almost toying with his implanted identity “Would you come after me? Hunt me?”

And in the initial interview:
"May I ask you a personal question? Sure. Have you ever retired a human by mistake? No. But in your position, that is a risk.

Position. Not profession. He doesn’t have a profession, he’s been put in a spot by Tyrell to test the capabilities of the memory implant technology.

I’m also convinced Gaff has a more ambiguous role to play than being the model for Deckard’s memories. I always kinda thought he might be a company man. And Deckard knows him. Has memories of working with him etc. Rachael doesn’t know about and never meets Tyrell’s real niece…

…anyway.

ETA: Yeah, Gaff speaks cityspeak, Deckard doesn’t, Gaff doesn’t appear to be be a barely functional drunk etc.
New theory: Deckard is a new generation of the memory tech where they’ve built memories rather than copying them from someone else.

Obviously this hasn’t worked well, it takes someone kinda off (like Gaff) to be a BR, Deckard’s perona isn’t constructed well enough to cope with the constant murdering, hence the drink and the wanting to quit (chicken!).

6 Likes

Have you looked at Filmstruck?

Yes, Filmstruck is the new Criterion platform I was talking about. It is a joint effort with TCM. That’s great, except Hulu is under $8/month, included most of the Criterion collection as well as other movies and a few TV shows I watch. The Filmstruck plan with the same amount of Criterion and no TV is $11. So I have the choice of adding another service or getting about half the content I was happily paying for from sources like @OtherMichael’s, which I can do quite easily but prefer not to except when necessary.

Oh, and they don’t support the Roku.

3 Likes

Only the South African ones…

2 Likes

They could see each other on their phones in the movie? I don’t know if they could see themselves, but they could see each other.

1 Like

2 Likes

Are you sure that isn’t a driving instructor?

1 Like

The Man From Earth was one of the best films I had never heard of. A sci fi movie, filmed almost entirely in one house. One guy, telling a story, others listening and asking questions. It doesn’t sound like much but it was compelling.

4 Likes

The Running Man gif reminded me of this guy and how many really interesting people were in that movie.

Erland van Lidth. Minor Dutch noble, MIT grad, wrestler and opera-singer. Could have gone into IT, movies, music or pro-wrestling but died just a few months after The Running Man was released.

10 Likes

Running Man is a little cheesy, but it’s a fun kind of cheesy, isn’t it? Richard Dawson is freaking rad in that movie.

11 Likes

Was dragged to see Dr Strange over the holiday. What a tremendous waste of money and acting talent. I can’t believe it has a RT 90%. Thought the same for Antman. I feel like Marvel is sucking up all the oxygen for “SF” movies leaving nothing left for something actually well written. And non-Marvel Edge of Tomorrow was shockingly awful given it’s 91% RT score, the only reason I decided to watch it recently.

Please, PLEASE, PLEASE… a moratorium on time travel plots!

Running Man was great, a straightforward dystopia with lots of action and no time travel or fucking superheroes doing magical crap or violating Newtonian physics.

1 Like

Really? @JemmieDuffs liked it and she is not a fan of that sort of film. I am gonna say you are overthinking these. They are COMIC BOOK MOVIES. Have you read super hero comics? These are the modern equivalent of Buck Rogers and Flash Gordon. They are popcorn fare that is just fun to put the brain on hold and enjoy the stupid story.
Do I think all of them are worth the $15 ticket price? No definitely not but I do enjoy them all for the dumb fun that they are. It isn’t like they pretend to be anything other than super heroes fighting the bad guys.

5 Likes

I think of it as a zero sum game, these piles of shit get made into movies and other better stories don’t. I can think of dozens of awesome SF classics that would make terrific thoughful but crowd pleasing action movies, but no producer is looking for them, they’ve got COMICS!

I recently reread John Varley’s Titan series, what an incredible trilogy that would make, now that the technology is there to do it right. Crickets.

2 Likes

It’s the right sort of cheesy movie and doesn’t take itself seriously at all. And for a big dumb cheesy action movie, it’s got a pretty crazy cast.

4 Likes

That’s partly the problem! I have always read comics, and I always found super heroes to be terribly dull and cliche, and could not understand why 95% of the comic store was filled with such stuff. And it’s more annoying because they go most of the way towards being imaginative, but then drop the ball by requiring too many tropes to anchor them. So it figures that when there are finally well-produced comic movies we get the Marvel and DC stuff we’ve been seeing instead of Zap, Reid Fleming, The Invisibles, Blame!, Metabarons, or anything else I would want to actually read. The only comics I read as a kid which were from a big publisher were DCs weird horror/sci-fi anthologies like Tales of the Unexpected. Ironically, “unexpected” is what I’d like from these movies also, less reliance upon trite formula.

As critical as this sounds, I think that despite the appearances @gellfex mentioned that big spectacles don’t make it any harder for others to make something smarter or more inspired. But it can be surprisingly difficult getting people to work on ANY movie, never mind a good one .

3 Likes

David Boswell has this covered. But seriously, I wish Dave Thomas got his wish to bring Reid Fleming to the big screen.

4 Likes