Undoing "Likes"

Individual likes are also useful as a quick acknowledgment showing that you have read a reply even if you don’t really have much to add in turn.

3 Likes

Ah yuhhp.

I agree, edit revisions would at least allow you to piece together what had happened.

Would there be any way of associating ‘likes’ with particular edit revisions? Colour coding or grouping mini avatar icons within each edit revision panel?

1 Like

In systems where they are anonymous, I’d agree, but I’m pretty careful with my likes, given that my “face” is on them. And actually, a well-regarded mutant expressing surprise that another mutant-of-note had liked a particular post actually started this thread.

I think, if anything, a notification that a post you liked was edited would be the most helpful solution, in addition to giving a renewed timer from the moment of editing. This would give the human liker the power to decide if the edit was a change in meaning, and also would give them a chance to discover and flag edit-abusers of the @CaptainPedge -with-an-evil-streak hypothetical above. It would also mean that only those users who visit often and curate their presence most closely would be affected. This might be too resource intensive, however, I couldn’t rightly say.

I’ve liked the last comment of people that i was arguing discussing things with, when i no longer felt that replying to them was productive, as a way of letting them know i read their comment and just wasn’t replying. i know that isn’t what likes are meant for, and i guess that usage is atypical, but i’m not really too concerned or uptight about it. Most of the time I only like comments I support, but sometimes i like just a sub aspect of a comment enough, to like the comment.

This thread is interesting, because it has made me realize how different we all view and approach something as simple and straightforward as likes.

1 Like

Disqus had a list of people who commented the most, had the most likes.

Is there a way to pull up user lists like that in Discourse?

To see who gets/gives the most likes etc?

I think it’s a nice idea. It maybe could also be a way to define which revisions are important to make visible; I’m ok with being able to silently correct typos and the like, it’s once people have interacted with the comment that it becomes a problem.

So I’m imaging something like this, with revision links:

Though of course that’s easy enough for me, since I don’t have to worry about what it might look like underneath.

2 Likes

Very risky, people who jsut typo a lot will be punished with less likers cause this will generate a lot of unneeded noise.

Great … Sam edited “jsut” to “just” … again … woop-de-doo

3 Likes

I have to admit, I find “I’ll change my post after people liked it to make it look like they support it” (or the smaller, subtler problem… people edit their post to add more, which doesn’t alter the point they made that you liked, but suddenly now includes a sexist stereotype you don’t want to endorse), to be a bigger risk of a problem than “I don’t like this person more, I’ll unlike every thing I ever liked before.” and on the off chance it removes badges or alters the trust level of users in weird edge cases. If somebody has a friend that likes everything they post that they then get mad at and turns on them, I’d imagine most of them would be regular enough users that the removal of those likes won’t severely mess them up (I men, I’ve been here for years and I don’t think I’ve got a friend who does that!).

But my doubt over the relative amount of problem aside… perhaps a very simple fix? One after-10-minutes unlike a day, per person. Lets you correct any accidental likes you only notice after the deadline (unless you’re really hopeless about it), or edits that make you suddenly want to unlike, but if you’re going on a vendetta against a former friend… well, it’s going to take you a LONG time to get done with it. (I was going to suggest just not making badges/trust levels revokable due to a reversed like, but I could see that being a lot more complicated with a lot of knock-on effects0

once you became aware of the changes.

If you get to edit freely until someone “likes” or replies, it’s a pretty good window of opportunity. The more your post needs editing, the less likely a like or reply is going to come along to interfere with your editing process.

The posts that had typos that were liked? Leave them alone. The likers were fine with typos, and that’s the version they were moved to “like”.

You can get a head start in the game with a text editor before you start using the BBS system. But really, if the post got some likes, what need to correct typos?

I am blessed with both OCD and horrible spelling. I wonderful combo.

8 Likes

I actually had a tiler do that to me (with the same tiles and pattern, but a different color combination). I made him fix it: he was not happy, but had no grounds to complain. Tiles are one of the most permanent things in a home. I may not have OCD, but over time that would have broken me.

2 Likes

This is a real picture from our renovation

Needless to say, that step has been replaced

2 Likes

Only way that could have been worse:

3 Likes

It’s all about one’s priorities. I may as well ask, “as long as my typos are erased before somebody sees 'em, what do I care about the Likes?” I, myself, am not here for the Likes. But it’s important to me that I express myself as clearly as I am able, and with as few typographical errors as possible.

Don’t get me wrong; I actually do use the Like function. It has its uses. But I don’t go actively courting Likes. I expect my opinion to diverge from the consensus every now and then.

Careful. That kind of behaviour can earn you a “like” now and then.

1 Like

Thank you for obliterating my afternoon.

I keep scrolling up and down and up and down and up and down.

What changed? Surely something changed?

Up and down and up and down.

5 Likes

Observe height of top riser. Use knots for reference. It’s subtle, but it would break a neck the first day.

4 Likes

I think you’ve been trolled.

Edit: or not.

I’d assumed Donald just reposted your picture. That’s what I would have done.

4 Likes

Never! I? Do such a thing?

1 Like