Union Jack flag probably won't change much if Scotland becomes independent-but they won't be the last to leave

The black field with the red cross bordered in white seems most likely to me to show up in a scifi movie about a dystopian surveillance state.

So all depends if they want to keep going down that path.

2 Likes

He explained how the White Dragon of the Saxons though winning the battle at present, would soon be defeated by the Welsh Red Dragon.

1 Like

I remember grappling with those finicky red diagonals back in elementary and high school, where we were very big on multiculturalism and hence flags. At one point I was very relieved when I realized I could get away with representing the flag in its 18th century incarnation when the saltire was merely white.

Libya sure had one sweet, sweet flag up until 2011. We will probably never see the like again.

1 Like

cough

Not to hijack the Scotland threadā€“since Scotland is my favorite country I have visitedā€“but I thought I would leave the gift of moar Welsh dragons.

http://www.thewelshdragon.co.uk

The black and yellow comes not from the Welsh flag itself, but from the same place the other crosses come from: the flag of the patron saint of the country. In the case of Wales, itā€™s the flag of St. David.

(For the record, the others are, of course, St. George for England, St. Andrew for Scotland and St. Patrick for Northern Ireland.)

But you are right that St. Davidā€™s cross isnā€™t the Welsh flag. Which is why the green might be easier to incorporate and also a color that the Welsh would be happier with. Though I wouldnā€™t count the Welsh out for independence just yet. Iā€™m certain that theyā€™ll be keeping an eye on how things go with Scotland. (American, living in north Wales.)

4 Likes

Iā€™d much rather we all banded together and invaded the City of London than bits of us keep seceding, if Iā€™m honest.

14 Likes

Yes! Sack & burn the City of London (the UK Wall Street) !

1 Like

Now letā€™s not be hasty there. Thatā€™s a lot of money. Iā€™ll look after it while we decide what to do about it.

2 Likes

All of this is a fun intellectual game, but they wonā€™t change the flag, it has too much cultural cache, itā€™s classic.

1 Like

If the UK did change their flag, would Australia and New Zealand have to change too?

3 Likes

That makes you a True Scotsman! :wink:

1 Like

Something Iā€™ve been pondering and havenā€™t really seen addressed, at least in the mass media coverage of the referendum: how much does the pro-independence crowd overlap with the anti-royalist crowd?

Iā€™m aware that the royal familyā€™s popularity is at an all time high with the weddings and babies and whatnot but personally, if I were Scottish Iā€™d vote for independence just to finally do away with the archaic head of state (ā€œsymbolicā€ as they may claim to be).

I used to think that, but then someone pointed out to me how the Queen/King as the head of state causes a significant fraction of natural followers to worship someone who is fairly irrelevant politically. In the US those people worship presidents which is far more dangerous because presidents hold real power. I suspect that effect is worth vastly more than keeping one family rich.

5 Likes

I relly, really, really donā€™t like this design. Sharing colors with Belgium is kinda okay, but with the Britons? Never!

1 Like

I much prefer the green-background Union Jack. I also think that this should be Scotlandā€™s new head of state:

1 Like

Now I want some Marmite, for some reason.

2 Likes

Itā€™s not even real money. Itā€™s just some abstract numbers, these days.

1 Like

If they donā€™t feel like bothering, they shouldnā€™t.
Same goes for all remnants here in Canada (various provincial flags, etc.).

1 Like

On the contrary, itā€™s the perfect riposte to ā€œainā€™t no black in the union jackā€.

3 Likes

Good heavens, thatā€™s about the worst thing Iā€™ve seen someone write about another person.

[files it away to use in some future emergency]

3 Likes