Union Jack flag probably won't change much if Scotland becomes independent-but they won't be the last to leave

But the independence referendum question is merely “should Scotland be an independant nation?”, which doesn’t necessarily automatically incorporate dropping the monarchy.
There are a number of countries around the world that are independent from the UK which still have the Queen on their money. Mine, for instance.

2 Likes

No, the BNP don’t believe in putting black in the union jack. That design is probably a sign of multiculturalism and political correctness or something.

1 Like

Shouldn’t a flag for a joint England and Wales be a red cross behind a red dragon… might actually make a pretty kick ass flag.

We can just leave it as is. Instead of the blue representing St Andrew, it can just be a blue background, or represent the sea or something equally neutral. But we should put the dragon in somewhere though. Dragons rule.

5 Likes

Via a process called Saltireisation I believe the rest of the UK plans to keep using the cross of St Andrew within it’s flag without Scotland’s permission…

2 Likes

As someone from a country with a flag that is not only rather boring but also doesn’t have a proper meaning I am watching this desire to keep the flag in sync with the development of the country with slightly bemused interest.

1 Like

Seven (eight if we count the thumb that is usually a short claw-like thingy close to the joint) fingers on the wing… that’s… unusual.

The wall was never the border though, although moving it there would be worth it just to watch the rage from the Tories in the north of Carlisle.

Personally I would give Scotland back it’s pre-Treaty of York claims and have the Scottish border at the northern edge of Lancashire and Yorkshire.

1 Like

We’ve still got thirteen stripes on the U.S. flag.

I’d always figured that the British owned the top corner of those flags:

“Yo dawg, we heard you like flags, so we put a flag on your flag so we can rule while you rule.”

Norway is still the mother of flags though:

10 Likes

If you like it, put a dragon on it?

…that works for me.

5 Likes

The flag of Cornwall is a white cross on a black field, Saint Piran’s Flag. It represents white molten tin running out of black ore

2 Likes

Hawaii may have a problem too.

Which brings up another point: A lot of other places have flags that incorporate the Union Jack. Presumably they could leave them as-is, since that’s what the Union Jack looked like (i.e. reflecting whatever relation they had with the UK) at the time they made their own flags. (For example the City of Pensacola’s flag has the older Flag of Great Britain in it)

EDIT: Now I see a couple of you beat me to it

That’s kind of my take on it; besides (as I said in another reply) if they don’t feel like going through the effort and expense of making the changes, those countries should feel under no obligation to bother.

Yes, and the couple hundred years of imperialism generally is blameless in that regard. /s

I’d move there if she was the head of state…

1 Like

I reckon the blue in the union flag can stay, since it isn’t even the right one: the Scottish flag uses sky blue, not dark blue.

If Wikipedia is to be believed, the Scottish flag is just “azure, a saltire argent,” which could be any shade of blue. And since some people wanted to standardize it, a committee of the Scottish Parliament adopted a recommendation of Pantone 300, which is a lovely color somewhere between sky blue and royal blue.

You sir/madame/mutant are my new BFF.

Or a ring in the shape of a dragon?

1 Like