United Airlines denied a woman trying to fly with her emotional support peacock

Not this one.

11 Likes

Some things to consider (source: https://adata.org/publication/service-animals-booklet):

[As defined by the ADA], a service animal means any dog that is individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of an individual with a disability, including a physical, sensory, psychiatric, intellectual, or other mental disability.

Note: SERVICE animal, and DOG. If it’s not a dog, then it is legally not a service animal under the ADA.

But what about THERAPY animals, you ask?

While Emotional Support Animals or Comfort Animals are often used as part of a medical treatment plan as therapy animals, they are not considered service animals under the ADA.

There’s other stuff on the responsibilities of the handler, which includes things like the animal must be under the control of the handler, and the animal must be housebroken.

I’m all about hating airlines when they screw up, and we all know that United breaks guitars, but in this case, I gotta side with the airline. This seems more like a publicity stunt than anything else.

11 Likes

@SamWinston, a classic.

(I seem to have gotten @cheem’s post mixed up with another)

7 Likes

I too love the comforting 120 dB cry of an agitated bird at 30,000 ft.

15 Likes

Along with Jack Benny negotiating with a robber, Jim Ignatowski taking the driver’s license exam and Jill Goodacre trapped in an ATM, this is my biggest regular TV laugh. I include that others might be so enriched:

[redacted duplicate youtube video of Less Nessman’s genius]

ETA: threading is responsible for double posting, threading, I tells ya!!! I saw @SamWinston post the reference, clicked reply to see if anyone had replied. Upon seeing no one had, I added the vid.

5 Likes

Sure, Dexter may genetically be a peacock, but he doesn’t identify as one.

5 Likes

Please, PLEASE let’s not let the ordeal of commercial flying become even worse than it is by letting this insane trend continue. I’m sorry you’re having trouble coping but that doesn’t give you the right to fuck up everyone else’s day with a screeching, shitting, feather-shedding dinosaur. Bring a teddy bear, pop a pill, put on some noise cancelling headphones and suck it up like the rest of us.

10 Likes

We all know penguins can’t fly either.

4 Likes

Also miniature horses for some reason.

1 Like

Delta made an announcement about this a couple of weeks ago. Apparently the airlines got together and decided enough was enough.

At least she bought a ticket for her feathered friend. The rules had been that passengers could bring their emotional support animal on board for free. However, this didn’t apply (for example) to me bringing my wife along for emotional support, and I found that unfair.

16 Likes

I am disappointed that you are not eating one right now.

3 Likes

The shop was right out of penguins.

20 Likes

Peacock Taco? I had one for lunch.

5 Likes

You underestimate the uplift you can get from seeing your Emotional Support Peacock fnck up someone else’s day.

12 Likes

Miniature horses are long-lived and trainable- they are a good alternative for folks who have allergies or belong to one of the religions that consider dogs “ritually unclean”.

3 Likes
3 Likes

OK - you get a pass this time. :wink:

2 Likes

8 Likes

I had the same problem with my emotional support AK-47.

8 Likes