University cafeteria officially named after killer cannibal

Because it popped up on r/todayilearned yesterday…

1 Like

Get outta mah head!

1 Like

That’d be the “Stan, Stan, Stan, Eggs, Bacon and Stan.”

11 Likes

C. W. McCall has sung his share of songs, hasn’t he?!

2 Likes

1 Like

10 Likes

Somebody is going to get kuru and it’s not ME!

So I guess it was long pig in the refer truck>

1 Like

“Every day, someone is born who’s never seen The Flintstones.” — Merlin Mann

4 Likes

I came here to the comments to see if anyone else had referenced this, and if not, add it myself. The song is from the 1990 album “The Real McCall: An American Storyteller” The Real McCall: An American Storyteller - Wikipedia

1 Like

“The film’s violent scenes have been edited out for your viewing pleasure” :thinking:

Life expectancy was about 40 years then, I would imagine less if you were imprisoned, and parole was just getting started as a concept, so it may have been thought of as a life sentence.

Average life expectancy. You have to correct that for all the babies, toddlers and kids not even making it to puberty. People making it into their late teens had a decent chance to get old.

4 Likes

I’m aware, but you also have to correct for 19th century prisons in the us, which was not the best life that the 19th century had to offer.

1 Like

Pure speculation on my part, but I wonder if the sentence in question was a record for the time because “40 years in prison” was actually more lenient than the usual penalties at the time? This might have been a record at the time because usually they would have just hanged him or something.

5 Likes

We shouldn’t forget about the USDA Cafeteria incident, back in 1977.

In 1977, the US Secretary of Agriculture, Bob Bergland, attempted to terminate a contract for the department’s cafeteria food service but was prevented by the General Services Administration (GSA). To embarrass the GSA, Bergland and his employees convened a press conference on August 10, 1977, to unveil a plaque naming the executive cafeteria “The Alferd Packer Memorial Grill”, announcing that Packer’s life exemplified the spirit and fare of the cafeteria and would “serve all mankind”. The event was covered on ABC-TV Evening News by Barbara Walters.[21] The stratagem succeeded, and the contracts were terminated soon thereafter. Magnanimous in victory, Bergland yielded to the bureaucratic objection that the plaque lacked official GSA authorization and removed it. The plaque is currently displayed on the wall of the National Press Club’s The Reliable Source members-only bar. It doubles as a memorial to Stanley Weston (1931–84), a man who worked at the USDA.[22] The Press Club’s hamburger is called the “Alferd Packer Burger”.[23]

5 Likes

“Guess he never heard of Duncan Hines”

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.