University cafeteria officially named after killer cannibal

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/24/university-cafeteria-officially-named-after-killer-cannibal.html

12 Likes

Packer: It was a matter of life and death, I was starving!
Prosecutor: But you didn’t even eat that last guy.
Packer: Well, by that point I was tired of human flesh and I needed money for take-out.

Interestingly there are lots of streets, schools and even a town in California named after surviving members of the Donner party, but that’s a pretty different situation since those people only ate the people who died first rather than actively killing them.

11 Likes

40 years was a record-breaking sentence for multiple counts of murder? Frontier justice was more lenient than I realized.

12 Likes

Slow news day I guess. This was the name when I was at CU Boulder over twenty years ago, and apparently when my parents were there as well. I guess it’s interesting to people but wonder why it was just “discovered” today! :wink:

11 Likes

Donald Trump: “Silence of the Lambs. Has anyone ever seen The Silence of the Lambs. The late, great Hannibal Lecter is a wonderful man. He oftentimes would have a friend for dinner. Remember the last scene? "Excuse me. I’m about to have a friend for dinner”

7 Likes

I’ll have the veggie burger.

20 Likes

The usual problem with naming anything after a person is that years later, and as public morals change and develop, it is often discovered that the hero you named your whatever after is now considered a monster, and you have to change the name because they’re now perceived very differently than when you first named it.
It is unlikely that this will be the case here. Good job I guess?

6 Likes

In case you don’t want to watch to the whole film… here’s a taste…

“my heart’s as full as a bake potato”

14 Likes

The name is ALFERD Packer, as shown in the image, not “Alfred,” as written throughout the post. Maybe having to constantly correct the spelling of his name made him want to eat people.

13 Likes

It also has the OG Let’s Build a Snowman song from a musical.

5 Likes

Excuse Me Reaction GIF by One Chicago

I dare say it was the starving that did it… just a guess.

“snow man, snow man… we can make him tall or we can make him not so tall… snow man!!!”

It’s such a dumb and funny movie… about cannibalism. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Good choice.That’s not got much human in it.

10 Likes

where i was there, the burrito was called ‘el cannibal’’

1 Like

If the restaurant doesn’t serve baked potatoes and wish people a shpadoinkle day I will be very dissapointed…

4 Likes

I’ve almost certainly posted this before, but I think of this anytime Al Packard is mention. It’ll now be my official Ear Worm for the next day or so.

7 Likes

It legally has to be less than 50% human!

4 Likes

His gravestone is in the Littleton cemetery, just down the street from my childhood home. somewhere i may still have a rubbing of it. Hooray for local historical figures!

4 Likes

Not to be confused with the “vegetarian” burger, which is made of grass-fed human beings.

11 Likes

Oops! Turns out that was a typo on the menu. It’s actually the Reggie burger.

9 Likes

3 Likes