Unprecedented: criminal president

1. Impeachment.

2. Removal from office.

3. Prosecution.

4. Escape to Russia

1 Like

Again, sounds great, but for legal and technical reasons I don’t know the names of, I’m sure it won’t happen. Do you think life-time judicial appointments, for example, could be overturned,
just like that? Not to mention the typical nice-guy Dem thing Obama did of not prosecuting Bushies for their many heinous war crimes.

3 Likes

One thing the past two years have taught us is almost anything is possible when you hold all the power.

So yes - a Supreme Court Justice appointed by a criminal president should be unseated, and their decisions struck, the cases reheard.

5 Likes

I think I’d rather see him stick around long enough to witness the undoing of everything he tried to do - just like he tried to do to Obama. Karma.

6 Likes

Absolutely, that should happen, but…

6 Likes

Hence this thread:

Not just Trump, not just Gorsuch, not even just the lower court Trump appointees.

The right has been stacking the US judiciary and police forces with fascists for decades. They all have to go.

Sarcasm recognised, but for the benefit of the peanut gallery: from the perspective of the victims, there is nothing “nice” about providing immunity to monsters.

“Accessory after the fact” is a relevant legal term.

3 Likes

One thing I believe is that it will never happen if we don’t begin to be LOUD and CLEAR that this is our expectation, and the only equitable resolution of trumps legacy.

The revolution is not finished when trump is gone. It is not finished until everything is mopped up.

4 Likes

I’m not sure the US constitution + current amendments provide a mop that is large enough for the job.

5 Likes

Because institutions change things as little as they can on any given day.

The kind of “reset” you describe usually comes with guillotines and heads on pikes.

2 Likes
4 Likes

The Constitution has a bit that says if Trump gets ousted, the presidency goes to Mike Pence, and if he somehow gets ousted too then it passes on to Paul Ryan. If you manage to keep going far enough down the line of succession you eventually get to Betsy DeVos in charge of the country. Keep going and close to 20 layers down you get someone from the Department of Homeland Security. Doesn’t seem likely that we’d get much of a reset that way.

3 Likes

Usually, but not always.

3 Likes

I’d like to see him inside of a wall.

2 Likes

Nonviolent revolution - Wikipedia

Illustrated, of course, with

Marianne, is that blood?

2 Likes

Liberté, égalité, five o’clock tea!

2 Likes

Well that is biz as usual, not a RESET.

If the outcome is that Trump participated in efforts to alter the outcome of the election made by Russia, then I think calling a new election is fair game. And if so, the assumption that Pence and Devos and the cast of characters constitutionally inherit trumps power goes out the window.

Plus I think the GOP needs to be barred from participating for a few rounds because of complicity. They need to sit in the corner and think about what they’ve done.

3 Likes

I think that would be awesome, but I have my doubts if that would come about. Part of the reason he still has GOP support is because in their mind he’s delivering on at least some of his campaign promises, especially with regards to reproductive rights (curbs on) and immigration issues.

I think it’s probably far more likely that the midterms give us a Democratic congress who will ride out the term until 2020, with literally nothing happening, and then we get a democratic president. Back to middle of the road, incremental changes that just prolong the slow burning crisis that existed prior to 2016.

I wish I didn’t feel so pessimistic about that, but I do.

7 Likes

I wanna say that federal judicial appointments have to go through an impeachment process, too. I don’t know if there is any precedent on removal from office by voiding an appointment, too. I don’t even know if that would be constitutional at all?

4 Likes

The founders did not anticipate the possibility of appointments being made by a president later revealed to be criminal? If they did not the door is open to make law. Its compounded by the fact that the crimes were to aid him in becoming president. Seems to me to call for a voiding of authority.

2 Likes

I’m not a constitutional scholar, so I can’t be sure, but I don’t think that’s the case, no. For judicial appointments, I think they’d need an impeachment process.

Have you met our congress? :wink: It would have to be constitutional, too, which is even harder to get done.

True. Grounds for impeachment against him. but if there isn’t a mechanism for voiding his appointments, then each one will likely have to get their own process.

I do agree, but I just don’t know if there is a constitutional process for that.