Unsatisfying: animation of things coming annoyingly close to happening, but not quite happening

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/11/03/animation-of-things-coming-ann.html

4 Likes

Yes, it was annoying.

4 Likes

Ironically, the animation itself hit the nail on the head, and was a slam dunk…

18 Likes

There is one very important thing that we must remember here, and that is the abil

13 Likes

Most excellent choice of Adagio for Strings.

8 Likes

My life the animation…

7 Likes

The timer at unsatisfying.tv should just freeze at 0:07s left.

13 Likes

The soda can, and the pinball machine.

Grrr! So many times!

9 Likes

I kid you not, the video crashed the browser about 10 seconds into the the video. Reloaded the page. Same problem. Came here to see if that was the point. Nope. Just me. :-\ Third try, fingers crossed…

And crashed a third time. Went to Vimeo and worked as if I need a video to see things fail.

Looks around

Sigh…

I really loved the video by the way.

11 Likes

Based on the screenshot teaser, I thought this was about Marlboro soda coming close to happening.

3 Likes

So you’re saying that it came annoyingly close to playing, but left you unsatisfied?

6 Likes

Yes. it was so effective I thought it was maybe a prank by Rob. Hahahaha

7 Likes

Light drizzle,
Intermittent windshield wiper,
Scraping sound.

6 Likes

Maybe it was the music but I found this strangely satisfying.

Take that, Chekhov!

5 Likes

Disappointed that it didn’t include ice cream falling off a cone to the ground, but that might be too unbearably sad.

6 Likes

The music, Samuel Barber’s adagio for strings, is supposed to be “unsatisfying” from a theoretical standpoint–never completely resolving itself.

The Adagio is an example of arch form and builds on a melody that first ascends, then descends in stepwise fashion. Barber subtly manipulates the basic pulse throughout the work by constantly changing time signatures including 4/2, 5/2, 6/2, and 3/2.[6] After four climactic chords and a long pause, the piece presents the opening theme again, and fades away on an unresolved dominant chord.

8 Likes

Also, it was voted “saddest song” by some British publication.

1 Like

Obligs:

15 Likes

That’s part of the nature of grief. “Closure” never really happens.

5 Likes

Hey, I have chissors like those in my kitchen! Neat!

2 Likes