Unsolicited gift from Disabled Veterans National Foundation

My dad has so many shitty calculators, clocks, pens, talking calculator clock pens, etc. Dunno how much, but I’m sure he’s given money in the past to these types of organizations, hence them sending shit to him.

I did a series of broken AOL CD collages back in the day. In a shared household of 5 people, not one of us ever had a use for any of these unsolicited CDs, and we collectively received an awful lot of them.

2 Likes

Not necessarily. He could’ve given money to a perfectly respectable cause, but those lists get passed around more than an STD. For fun, the next time you give a donation, do so with a trackable misspelling of your name. Then watch who sends you spam with that misspelling.

2 Likes

I had a twelve foot long piece of rope threaded through an enormous pile of cds. It was mostly AOL discs. It caught the light in a very nice way. One day I threw it away because it seemed dumb. It was dumb. It wasn’t that easy to get it into the dumpster.

Thanks AOL, for your shoddy business practices and inept understanding of your place in the world. And I mean that most sarcastically.

1 Like

I had plenty of use for them. They made nifty coasters (logo side down, of course, so they’re still aesthetically appealing)!

1 Like

If you’re like me and rarely have company, then 4 or 5 coasters would be excessive.

I remember somebody was going to collect 1 million AOL CDs and dump them in front of AOL HQ. I’m not sure whatever came of that effort – the old website is now an ad site.

I can tell you that in addition to shipping unwanted CDs all over creation, AOL had pretty lax building security. When I worked in Reston, VA I was looking for an ATM, and my credit union told me that the closest one I could use for free was a few buildings down the street. I walked down there and discovered it was an AOL office (or Time Warner – at that point they were one company). I went around the back (I don’t remember, but I guess that’s what the directions said) and the door was locked. A few people came outside and one of them held the door open for me. I walked right into a break area and there was the ATM. It occurred to me I could have caused all kinds of havoc but I got my cash from the ATM and left like a good boy.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.