Unusual computer ad from Japan

My partner speaks better SQL than I do. But she still asks me why I am keeping the Turbo Pascal 7.0 floppies. What should I do?

4 Likes

Does the TSQLConnector run in Turbo Pascal?

2 Likes

Adorable! A totally not-clichéd world within technology where girls are dancing, winking prey, and guys are science-y engineers. It’s okay because it’s Japan.
Seriously, These tropes are why it’s so annoying that CEOs and ministers and researchers spend so much time and money on trying to figure out ‘why females aren’t going into tech’. The problem isn’t with the girls. Put a little effort towards not actively filling boys’ heads with delusional crap enchiladas, and we’ll take it from there.

10 Likes

Putting aside Japanese PM Abe’s program of “Womenomics” for a moment, let me give you an anecdote or three

• Here in Japan working in IT is considered low status despite the massive wealth and of Masayoshi Son. Long long hours and low pay dont help either.
  • Yet oddly enough the IT department at my previous employer was close to 40% women. Higher turnover within that percentage because many of them worked themselves up and out of IT. Or just left it because its unpleasant and mostly thankless work.
  • People here can understand the difference between entertainment and real life.
2 Likes

dunno if this is really odd. quite often “low status” corresponds with “women’s work” (European PoV, don’t know if this similar in the Japanese society)

6 Likes

You don’t get it. Real* life is not a discrete thing that encompasses ‘everything in the knowable universe except sexist videos-definitely not sexist videos’.

Showing evidence that, in places where IT are low pay/low status jobs, more women work them, does nothing for your hypothesis, btw.

EDIT-added two commas, guarantying that my POV will make the most sense.

8 Likes

You’re repeating yourself. What happened? They never invite you to any tech conference elevators, so you’ve got to spam this bbs with the same leech-y comment?

We get it, you are turned on; now can we move on or do you need admin to create a special badge for you?

1 Like

Good morning to you and have a badge on me

2 Likes

Argument ended. You won!

IT is generally male work here so no correlation. My last employer was probably the exception. Lots of western gender concepts dont map as expected here.

1 Like

Feed them to the mice!

1 Like

explain select * from complaints c, hoarding h where c.primary_index=h.complaint_index_key;

That should do the trick.

4 Likes

David Marx wrote lots of stuff in his blog years back about this. Its the same for the male and female groups so its not just “signing a daughter away”. There are quite a few stories about the management agency “Johnnys” which handles lots of boy bands here.

However based on the info in the wikiedia article about Nogizaka 46, where thousands of applicants will audition for a vacancy in this group, people do want into the system even knowing how hard it will be.

For those that can make it through the system they could end up with a media career either as a solo performer, TV talent, author, movie acting, etc etc etc. Japanese media does not confine performers to one format, they are encouraged to cross lines that in other countries they might not be able to do so.

Of course not everyone will make that leap but obviously people do want to try.

I dont personally know if the system here is more or less screwed up than anywhere else.

3 Likes

two words…DISPLAY CASE.

the simple display case elevates any horder hobby into a sophisticated curated collection on display.

7 Likes

Just don’t forget about your collation strategy. It’s what really joins the room together.

4 Likes

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
Also the young women in the commercial range from 18 to 24 years old.

1 Like

The young women singing and dancing in the commercial range from 18 to 24 years old.

1 Like

In their defense, there apparently isn’t a word or phrase in the english language equivalent to “pederast” for the relationship between an older man and a young woman.

3 Likes

It’s not really necessary to defend idiocy. While they are too young for me to date, I wouldn’t consider eighteen to twenty-four year olds as young girls.

2 Likes

Because you’re new here, I should tell you that we don’t call each other idiots. You’re welcome to disagree with a person’s point, but there’s no reason to be insulting about it.

6 Likes