Unvaccinated minors banned from public places in NY's Rockland County

Roger That! Stay safe cowboy…

3 Likes

Rockland County, New York, will declare a state of emergency Tuesday due to an ongoing measles outbreak

If the old laws are still on the books from the epidemic days, in a state of emergency, the county medical officer has vast powers, much more than this lame minor containment.

3 Likes

There’s always the really traditional option, should be a big hit with some of the more right wing anti-vaxxers…

" And the leper in whom the plague is , his clothes shall be rent, and his head bare, and he shall put a covering upon his upper lip, and shall cry, Unclean, unclean."

2 Likes

So there is nothing in the Jewish religion that says you can’t get vaccinated. In fact it is considered a “Mitzvah” or good deed to take care of your body, I.e. something that you are supposed to do according to the Torah, or Jewish bible. However, apparently there are some anti-vaxers that are giving these communities bad info, so they are avoiding the vaccines. Here is a good summary:

4 Likes

It’s remarkable how effective the anti-vax campaign has been It seems to have hit every continent, every demographic and every socioeconomic bracket. I can’t imagine the same being true of other preventative health/safety measures such as air bags.

4 Likes

I can. Stupid is a very flexible condition, especially combined with nostalgia and survivorship bias. The telltale phrase is “Back in the good old days, no-one needed…”

3 Likes

… to survive their 30’s.

5 Likes

There you go. Rabbi William Handler of Brooklyn (one of the the religious nuts responsible for the Rockland measles outbreak) would then proceed to use that position, complete with citations from the Bible, to justify the return of child brides.

2 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/03/27/new-york-county-declares-emerg.html

2 Likes

It will be interesting to see how this will be received in other countries. Germany just had a debate about the Impfpflicht. For the umpteenth time.

1 Like

Rockland County was news a few days ago, and I think some parents are suing to demand the measles or something. It’s amazing this commonsense solution wasn’t already in place a century ago.

I’m just happy that smallpox was done away with 40 years ago. If there’s a vaccine that causes problems, it would be the smallpox vaccine. I was in the Navy and everyone on my ship received it in the early 2000’s, someone I bunked with ended up having a bad reaction to it, resulting in boils and fleshy knots all over his body. It was pretty grotesque and I felt sorry for the guy. Thankfully an earlier generation was brave enough to bite the bullet with with that risky vaccine, and they managed to eliminate smallpox from the planet. I don’t think that would be possible in today’s environment.

1 Like

It is happing all over the world. There was a great shot of an emergency health crew setting up in the airport in Hong Kong in the SCMP. Something like four of the cases were Cathay Pacific employees, some of whom were flight crew.
https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/health-environment/article/3003380/five-more-hong-kong-residents-infected-measles.

Spanish flu is next.

Michigan as well. Make Measles Great Again!!! Once again, a predictable (and in fact predicted) outbreak due to low immunization rates. People will die before long, just statistically certain. 1:1000 roughly die from the illness.

And St. Tropez as well. Why should beautiful tropical paradises be spared?

2 Likes

The outbreak in Rockland is due to hyper conservative Jews.
Several years ago the volunteer fire dept. announced that they would not respond to calls in one exclusively Orthodox town because they refused to follow fire codes in their buildings citing religious freedom.E.G, no property line setbacks; a single family house housing two families and a factory in the basement using highly flammable glues and cardboard;etc.,etc.

While this outbreak is in a Jewish community, there are many that are not. Insular communities seem to be more vulnerable to the misinformation that leads to antivaxx sympathies. As was pointed out upthread, there is nothing in the religion itself that forbids vaccination. Not being Jewish myself, I will leave the details of this argument to others, but the strict observance of religion is not the cause of this outbreak, bad info is.

8 Likes

‘Private school’ in Saint Trope sums it up. Same for Oakland County. The monied classes seem to believe their chickens can’t come home to roost.

Down here in less affluent Washtenaw County, my boy is fully vaccinated, up to and including Gardasil.

7 Likes

Any form of superstition contributes to bad outcomes.
Strict observance of religion is one.

2 Likes

I’ve noticed that trend as well, and it’s pretty alarming. If someone wanted to target a specific group for ‘self destruction’, perpetuating antivaxxing would be a very efficient way of doing it (with great risk to everyone else, of course.)

5 Likes

means

compulsory vaccination.

1 Like