Upskirt peeper arrested under grate, wants to be "pavement in the next life"

Do the Yakuza have any analog to the American organized-crime tradition of ‘cement shoes’? If so, he might be able to (briefly) enjoy being pavement in this life.

1 Like

For real. I mostly clicked thru to badmouth the clickbait title. But if there’s no such thing as bad clicks then I guess it worked.

[quote=“pesco, post:1, topic:69331”]
“part of pavement in the next life.”
[/quote]Sadly, the road to Hell requires good intentions as the primary paving material.

3 Likes

Go home Scotland, you are drunk:

Earlier this month, sentence was deferred on teenager Steven Marshall, from Galashiels, who admitted simulating sex on a pavement while drunk.

2 Likes

Eh, I wouldn’t count on it. I’d say people are weird. Japanese people are weird in an increasingly recognizable and familiar way.

2 Likes

I think it’s more related to selective reporting, in non-Japanese media the weird and strange stuff is most likely covered more often.

2 Likes

“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars…and some of us are looking up skirts.” ~Oscar Wilde updated for 21 Cen.

6 Likes

Yeah. I’m just saying that Japanese weirdness started out being very unfamiliar and “foreign” to westerners, but as globalization has taken hold, their “type of weirdness” like the rest of culture, is becoming more familiar. Although it’s pretty heavily stereotyped in the reporting, and the reporting is biased.

In anycase, I never meant to say that they’re “weirder than us” or anyone else. I think people can tolerate a sort of maximum amount of weirdness beyond which mental health suffers, and I think that pretty much everyone has generally comparable amounts of weirdness, culturally speaking.

To point at the Japanese and say they’re especially weird is to deny our own strangeness in the converse point of view.

5 Likes

or Nietzsche. “If you stare up a skirt, …”

1 Like

No, I think that was Bataille.

1 Like

Skirts are dead… Or something.

1 Like

I thought of Nietzsches’s abyss, what quote had you in mind? (I’m not familiar with Bataille’s work)

I think @ChuckV is alluding to Français author Georges Bataille’s writings on eroticism, and just cracking a joke riffing off your Nietzsche joke.

1. Nihilism.
  2. Hilarity ensues!
  3. Profit?

Yes, I know neither was a nihilist but…reasons.

3 Likes

I was referencing the end of The Story of the Eye, in which the abyss does indeed stare back. I don’t want to force any spoilers on anyone, but you can get the gist of it by reading the next-to-last paragraph of the linked plot summary.

3 Likes

Tabernac! Does this story have to do with Un Chien Andalou? Like, is the eye a common motif or element in French art?

1 Like

Probably NSFW, if you’ve got a lame sex-negative job which it would be more socially responsible to quit and leave for dead.

2 Likes

Well, it comes from roughly the same period as Un Chien Andalou and both Bunuel and Bataille did hang with the Surrealists, for a while. (Bataille publicly fell out with Breton, as did Dali. Bunuel officially withdrew from Surrealism in an attempt to cleave more closely to Communism.)

As to the eye thing, Bunuel apparently did it to assault the viewer, while Bataille’s use of the eye reflects a recurring obsession with items that are both organic and orb-like, so the link is not so clear in this case.

1 Like

That that is is that that is not is not. Is that it? It is.

Didn’t everybody? If you didn’t, you weren’t trying hard enough.

Yeah, that’s where it all started going downhill for me…

1 Like