US Air Force offers $5,000 reward for belt of grenades lost in North Dakota

next week: "A Grenade Launcher has been lost. Luckily the grenade launcher can not be safely used without the proprietary grenades.”

8 Likes

With the proper launcher, it results in catastrophic success.

9 Likes

Probably, as they noted that they’re looking for a box, this is probably a full crate of linked (belt-fed) grenades. So maybe “full belt”?

1 Like

Sheesh! She’s a little behind for a 'murican kid eh?

2 Likes

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/05/16/airmen-expected-to-protect-nuc.html

1 Like

But did they lose any nuclear grenades?

5 Likes

I suspect some nice local well-regulated militia is enjoying those now.

9 Likes

Those fools! The second amendment says nothing about munitions!

3 Likes

I wonder what that would be worth on the black market… assuming the 'Murican Taliban doesn’t find it first.

1 Like

Did they check the recycling bins?

5 Likes

Exactly, somebody already collected the money. It was the soldier who sold them.

Or for the sake of argument it could have been a hobo who collected the money when he was strolling down a back lane jauntily whistling “Trailers for sale or rent…” and happened across the box that “fell off” the back of the truck and he then sold it to the militia man (aka domestic terrorist)

Either one seems equally likely, right?

1 Like

Meh. As long as everyone involved is white, we can just call it a Mulligan. nbd. meh.

1 Like

How do you know the race of the airmen?

And actually, no, they take this stuff pretty seriously. I know someone whose unit lost a rifle during a training exercise and the shit hit the fan in many ways. In this story they sent out 100 people to search for it, so, yeah. It’s a biggie.

More than likely, it was just “lost”. Theft does happen in the armed forces, but typically it is for stuff that can be sold easily and discretely. Of course, they track those too. I know someone who bough an Eotech sight off of ebay, and later had a government investigator contact him and take it back. It had been stolen from the military and resold.

These would have little use for anyone who didn’t have an Mk19 or at the very least a 40mm launcher - which is next to no one in the US.

I live and work in the area, the road in question is paved.

1 Like

Are you going to go on a scavenger hunt? $5K is decent money.

1 Like

Maybe, but the grass is still short so it isn’t likely the air force search missed it if it was just sitting in the ditch. There is a fairly deep creek about four miles south of the intersection, and a sheriffs deputy I talked to thinks thats the most likely spot if no one walked off with the box.

3 Likes

What happens in North Dakota…

happens a long long way from me

It seems pretty clear that these grenades are in private hands now.

Grenda

11 Likes

Reminds me of the documentary about the scrappers taking metal and ordinance from a bombing range. “They just leave this stuff laying around!”