US economic activity is slowing as virus surges, Fed reports

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/12/02/us-economic-activity-is-slowing-as-virus-surges-fed-reports.html

3 Likes

How utterly predictable.

10 Likes

What you said. Utterly predictable.

7 Likes

But wait, I thought it was a choice between public health and the economy, like conservatives always say? Do you mean to tell me that loosening restrictions and letting more people get ill has a bad economic effect, too? Mind blown.

13 Likes

IIRC during the flu pandemic a century ago, those areas that shut down fastest and hardest were those that recovered economically the fastest and strongest. Conservatives apparently can’t learn from the past, or maybe they’re all hostile agents. Both seem likely.

5 Likes

I’m fairly sure that’s the default state of a philosophy of government that urges erring on the side of keeping the status quo. Even if the conservatives in the US were 100% sincere (hah!) in their stated beliefs, that’s the cost. You repeat the mistakes of the past more often, in order to avoid new mistakes from trying to make improvements.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.