US House Speaker Mike Johnson says the separation of church and state is a "misnomer"

Yeah, well, good luck with that, Mikey.

3 Likes

Can you take an oath to preserve and defend a document you don’t fundamentally understand??

14 Likes

Oh, but they do consider it. It’s just that they want their religion as the justification for them running the government and force everybody else to live their lives as they decree.

15 Likes

Or like Qanon’s adrenochrome paedophilia cult, which incorporates heavy elements of Blood Libel anti-Semitism of the sort pushed by Xtianists for centuries. Has MAGA Mike denounced that cult?

11 Likes

“Don’t “Trump” me, bro!”

6 Likes

Riiiight - but the Second Amendment is entirely clear and can never be re-examined?

12 Likes

sin city art GIF by hoppip

Day 4 House Republicans GIF by GIPHY News

I knew i saw speaker johnson on film before.

5 Likes

I keep wondering why we don’t have better penalties for violating that oath. That’s only part of the problem with self-policing in of some branches of government, though. The worse part is members of the GOP claiming ignorance of laws, rules, regulations, and principles is a legitimate excuse for violating them. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Every time I hear the defense that they were acting on what they believed to be true it seems like they are doubling down on the Big Lie and Jan 6. Sometimes, a version of Trinity’s speech from The Matrix goes through my head while reading reports about their beliefs…

Let me tell you what I believe. I believe the Constitution means more to me than it does to you. I believe if you were really serious about your oath you wouldn’t need my help to understand it. Since you’re a member of Congress who swore an oath to support and defend it - if you don’t like it, I believe you can go to hell.

8 Likes

:thinking:

It makes me froth at the mouth that we have to repeat history within our lifetime.

Star Trek GIF

11 Likes

And further fuck him for equating (his) religion with morality.

/waves broadly at Republicans. Does that look very moral?

12 Likes

“vibrant expression of faith”

8 Likes

How TF do people like this keep getting elected when they couldn’t pass a civics test?

6 Likes

Because they don’t have to! We only put immigrants through that.

15 Likes

Boy they sure do love smarmy white dudes.

3 Likes
3 Likes

And given how there are 1001 different sects of Christianity, there is no way if the government was a theocracy that it would be the “right kind of Christianity” to most people.

:confused:

4 Likes

Basically one group wants to impose their form of Christianity on all the rest of us… They don’t believe all the other sects are correct, and they are not “real” Christians in their eyes. That’s common for theocratic states - the forced imposition of one theological position over all others.

Handmaids Tale Cheers GIF by HULU

8 Likes

Exactly. And hence, separation of church and state. If only the christofascist asshats could see that. But they can only see kicking down at all the lesser-thans who are not as pure as they are. It’s the urge to dominate others that leads to this shit, IMHO.

5 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

The framers were not too far off from seriously bloody and violent religious wars in Europe. The previous few hundred years had been awful in central Europe and did no one any real favors by the end of it.

9 Likes