US image at an all-time low

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/09/15/us-image-at-an-all-time-low.html

6 Likes

ds9-quark-shocked

27 Likes

if they had surveyed me, i would have said the same.

15 Likes

This is the canadians reactions to the US at the moment. Just imagine how everywhere else feels about us right now.

10 Likes

Guess we’re not going to be voted Prom Queen at the UN Enchantment Under the Sea Dance.

2 Likes

Voting “competent evil” as more respected (or more feared, probably) than “incompetent grifter” seems to make sense, Yup, I would have to agree.

15 Likes

US image at an all-time low

30 Likes

This is not fair. Only 30% of Americans have extreme views. The other 70% of us are perfectly tolerant people, we even tolerate those 30% of extremists.

12 Likes

A majority of the 13,000 people surveyed said they trusted Russian President Vladimir Putin and Chinese President Xi Jinping over Drumpf.

Understandable. Vlad and Winnie may be brutal authoritarian thugs, but they’re not life-long grifters like Biff.

10 Likes

Make all the jokes you want to, but this has real world implications, including making the world much smaller for Americans, impacting our economy, our ability to access multilateral organizations, etc. Depending on what happens in the next few months, that could include things like international sanctions, which could have a measurable impact on the quality of life for all Americans (ignoring the fact that many Americans have been struggling in this economy for years now). Part of what made the American economy such a powerhouse in the second half of the 20th century was how a part of the world we were.

18 Likes

Countries have interests, not good pals or drinking buddies. If being our friend serves a country’s interest, they’ll become our friend, even if they have to hold their nose while doing it.

1 Like

You’re acting as if being frozen out of all international relations has no consequences… maybe ask Iran or Cuba if that’s the case.

19 Likes

If they view US as unreliable or unstable, cutting relations will be in their best interest, and US soft power will be gone.
As an example of changing public opinion, some of my more right wing friends who previously viewed Trump in positive light became disgusted after US withdrew troops from Syria.


For others tipping point was how he handled the coronavirus crisis.
7 Likes

Shithole country.

[ETA: I’m sure Trumpers see this news and think “Yeah, it’s because of the Democrats!”]

5 Likes

Correct. And guess what effect a country being perceived as untrustworthy and volatile has on other countries’ opinion on the capacity of that countriy’s friendship to serve their interests.

8 Likes

A new international partnership is just round the corner: USA, Brazil, Philippines, and the rump UK (England and Wales and maybe part of NI).

ETA
Parts of Wales.

7 Likes

Axis 2.0 has a good sound to it! :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

More to the point, they are both predictable, and Trumpty-Dumpsterfire is dangerously not so.

10 Likes

TFW your investment really pays off.
putin laughing

7 Likes

In the article it was “trusted”, and that’s a word I’m reluctant to say about any of this trio, albeit for different reasons.

1 Like