US lawmakers vote against legislation to curb NSA's spying program

“This blunt approach is not the product of an informed, open, or deliberative process,” read a statement from the White House.

Irony!

3 Likes

Exactly, this is a strange bedfellows “victory” in the making. The next bill that gets voted on about this will be a new blanket ban on abortion, redistricting to further disenfranchise minorities, a special kickstart to a 10 billion-dollar bridge over the Rockies in the middle of nowhere Colorado for fracking trucks, AND a sidebar to restrict the NSA from collecting phone records between June 1st and June 2nd 2019, BUT to double their funding for anti-terrorist activity. And the bill will be named “The Electronic Privacy Act of 2013.” I mean, this isn’t going to be that far from the truth of how it will all go down.

we’re all winners!
let’s go get pizza and ice cream

Wake up sheeple push overs. A loss is a loss.
If you’re excited about a narrow loss, don’t expect to win.

1 Like

I highly recommend this talk on security by Bruce Scheier: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3NJ-Ow2Lvg

Quoting from memory: Government and corporations have learned to use each other to circumvent the legal limitations imposed on them. If government mandated everyone to carry a tracking device 24/7, there would be upheaval. And yet, most of us do have a cell phone with us most of the time.

1 Like

Unfortunately, most representatives can be effectively fired by large money donors (“not playing with us? well, we won’t support your campaign.”)

So, to the extend that we vote for whoever appears on a ballot, we are voting for choices pre-selected by corporations.

Therefore, the corporations have enormous voting power. Which will not change unless we take corporate money out of politics.

I recommend Professor Lessig’s TED talk on the topic. http://www.ted.com/talks/lawrence_lessig_we_the_people_and_the_republic_we_must_reclaim.html

1 Like

I recommend Professor Lessig’s TED talk on the topic.

Or better yet, take action.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.