US re-authorizes Presidential National Emergency Powers over terrorist attacks

Originally published at: US re-authorizes Presidential National Emergency Powers over terrorist attacks | Boing Boing

4 Likes

19 Likes

One of the several reasons why I refuse to “celebrate” 9/11. The Pat.riot act and this PNep are sh!tstains our country.

3 Likes

I must have missed the memo, where is the US about to bring FreedomTM to?

5 Likes

Truly, the “war against terror” is our “forever” war. I’m sure a century from now, it’ll still be in effect (assuming there is a US to keep it in effect) - after all, there’s always the possibility that some non-state actor will strike against the US (or its overseas interests, etc.). Though I suppose being an undeclared war that gives broad military powers to the president isn’t exactly novel - of the 150-odd military interventions by the US, war was actually declared in, what, five of them? The US is a country that almost never declares war, but is constantly at war, so this is the perfect mechanism to continue that and expand out the president’s powers (which is its own historical trend…).

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.