USA map on Sri Lankan television simplifies matters

You know you’re at Boing Boing when the commenters look at this and start gaming out how Chigago ended up in the New Republic of Texas instead of the Greater New York Co-Prosperity Sphere.

14 Likes

I know! it clearly belongs in the Dominion of Minnesconsin.

4 Likes

I’m wondering how GA ended up in FL? Maybe let’s carve out ATL and the black belt region…

3 Likes

I found Colin Woodard’s groupings more persuasive: Forget The 50 States; The U.S. Is Really 11 Nations, Author Says : NPR

But I’d say the upper midwest as a group makes sense (esp. if we can keep Chicago).

9 Likes

This is similar to Joel Garreau’s book The Nine Nations of North America, published 40 years ago.

Surprising how little has changed since that book was published.

5 Likes

Just gonna say my Chicago friends would like a word!

2 Likes

Atlanta is indeed ruining secessionists’ dreams of a contiguous Jesusland.

8 Likes

I was disappointed when I zoomed in on South Florida and it did not actually say Pirates of the Caribbean.

4 Likes

It’s a grave injustice that Indiana gets to be part of NY but Chicago is Texas.

4 Likes

Indeed. We’ve already taken over the suburbs, which used to be reliably red - especially the north and east suburbs, the 6th and 7th districts which both have gone blue in the last couple of elections.

porsha williams welcome to atlanta bitch GIF by Bravo TV

But it’s not just the ATL, the Black belt across central GA and AL are playing a role, too. This is where Abram’s strategy of visiting all 159 counties during her gubernatorial race paid off. If we can start flipping more rural parts of GA outside of the metro area and the Black belt, that will be the real victory.

Part of the reason, I’d argue that Warnock had an easier time than Ossoff had in the Senate races was that he’s a Reverend at Ebenezer Baptist. That means something to many Georgians who don’t see themselves as out and out racist. There are none too few Republicans even who have respect for a preacher, even a Democratic one and there is some level of respect for the Civil Rights generation of Black leaders, even among the GOP.

It strikes me that religiosity is something that can be used in the democrats favor to some extent. More candidates like Warnock who can talk with religious authority while supporting equality and human decency could win over more of the moderate GOP. But the real goal should be the continued push to expand voting to the previously disenfranchised and the demoralized.

10 Likes

Not really, though, which makes me wonder where it came from, because it doesn’t even really work as a joke. (Nevada as part of the California-Oregon-Washington group? Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota as part of “Texas”? Indiana and Kentucky as part of “New York”? Michigan manages to be both “New York” and “Texas,” etc. [Louisiana being half “Florida” half “Texas” checks out, though.])

1 Like

It was on Sri Lankan TV, so… :woman_shrugging:

4 Likes

I’m assuming they got it from somewhere else though*, because I can’t see a situation where the in-house graphics department would come up with that on their own. Making that map is not a mistake anyone would make, and I don’t see any utility to weirdly simplifying things that way for a news story.

*Or at least they copied something badly, that looked vaguely like that to begin with.

3 Likes

Could just be pure laziness? They found it online and just used it.

4 Likes

That’s my assumption. Which is what makes me wonder where it came from in the first place, and what the point was.

3 Likes

1 Like

Let’s keep Texas west of the Mississippi River, please.

Strangely, the borders seem to follow actual US state borders, so someone was referencing an actual US map and yet somehow came up with this.

2 Likes

I always find this map funny. Since moving to the U.S I’ve lived at the far ends of Greater Appalachia — southeastern New Mexico and western Pennsylvania — and they are so completely unlike one another at every reasonable point of comparison. The idea they could be considered part of the same cultural or sub-national entity is wild. Everyone seems to think it’s a clever map but to me it’s a top example of how outright harmful pop sociology is to the public understanding of all the fucked up stuff going on in America.

5 Likes

As foretold in the prophecy.

1 Like