USA map on Sri Lankan television simplifies matters

Interesting choice of font makes it look like Flonda. Petition to rename Florida as Flonda because it seems more fitting.

1 Like

My first thought was of Steinberg’s

2 Likes

Now with flags!

2 Likes

The California borders look like the New California Republic’s borders (depending on choices made in FNV), with Washington stuck on top

Everything else in the Fallout universe is a mess of different factions, so none of the other borders line up, although Caesar’s Legion fits in the southwestern corner of “Texas”.

3 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Nope. That’s a bullshit map if ever there was one.

1 Like

The joke is the discussions going on here on the accuracy of a thing that’s a joke. The good people of Sri Lanka are going Oh 50 states yeah yeah whatever, here’s all you need to know. And you guys are arguing about angels of the head of a pin, as far as RoTW is concerned.

Exactly. The New Yorker cover is iconic art, but the Sri Lankan TV map is " a top example of how outright harmful pop sociology is".

Well, no - my assumption is that the tv people found/adapted something from the internet (see my subsequent comments), and I’m wondering where it came from as it doesn’t work well enough as a joke for it to have been made by an American for humorous purposes.

Except splitting Michigan’s Upper and Lower Penninsulas.

People laugh, but I doubt a lot of Americans could find Sri Lanka on a map, so …

1 Like

As always, the answer is probably Reddit.
USA as far i’m conerned : memes (reddit.com)

1 Like

I remember Sri Lanka. Formerly Ceylon. We had to fill a bowl with Brown M&Ms or Ozzy wouldnt go on stage.

2 Likes

Ozzy. And a brandy glass.

1 Like

I generally like that map, but it comes with some caveats. Like, it’s out of date. I think there are still echoes of it, and not entirely laughable, but it’s primarily about white migration and settlement, first and foremost. Also, the white settlement patterns captured had played out by the middle of the last century, so the map is probably most accurate for 1960 or 1970 white america. Given that, where it probably applies best now is (white) rural and small town culture.

Also, he definitely drew boundaries that are too sharp, and the two spots you noted are going to be where that lack of fuzziness is the biggest problem.

The other big problem is city culture. He just doesn’t cover the after effects of white flight by the boomers and re-urbanization by millennials that also included a lot of migration between regions and sorting by politics.

So an internet joke by someone who is maybe not American, which makes the most sense - those are the states that get mentioned the most in foreign news, I’m guessing.

And Americans playing with maps are probably going to know the shape of Texas. It looks mighty weird without a panhandle.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.