USA McDonald's fries have 14 ingredients. UK McDonald's fries have 4

Delicious, delicious silly putty. They also make their hamburgers out of worms. I heard it from James Randi and Ben Goldacre on Mythbusters.

3 Likes

Not so fast. That shit degrades at high temperature/pressure and poisons the reforming catalysts pretty badly, if carried over from the delayed cokers. And fouls process equipment.

That said, I cannot even start imagining what sorts of problems could it cause in the temperatures/pressures available in a common kitchen.

It is also an anti-gas med on its own. Comes in those little transparent yellow balls and works like a charm.

2 Likes

“When the legend becomes fact, print the legend.” If I knew canola from Shinola, would I be posting on the Internet?

Indeed.

3 Likes

Yep, it’s a non-toxic silicone oil that’s used for a lot of stuff. It’s likely that you ingest more of it giving your female partner oral sex (if you use a silicone lube) than you do in a large fries.

3 Likes

On the other hand, delayed coking is a process specifically designed to thermally degrade. I have a hard time imagining what doesn’t thermally degrade in a coker. That PDMS degradation products end up in coker naphtha that you’re feeding to a platformer has no bearing on what happens in a deep fryer that operates at least 400 degrees C cooler, let alone a 40 degC fermenter. And how are you getting PDMS into the vac resid feedstock anyway, leaks from heat exchangers?

Thanks for letting me know about Do Not Link. It looks useful and I added it to the Food Babe link

8 Likes

Food Babe? Seriously? Might as well take reports from Natural News or Mercola.

6 Likes

Usually it is added as a defoamer. They try to use as small amount as possible because it is an expensive thing but sometimes the foaming trouble in the distillers or in the coker ask for more than just a process adjustment. (And sometimes you just get enough foam-inducing crap in the feedstock.)

Edit: Panic! Panic! They are feeding us with refinery gasoline-making additive, and they even peddle it as a medicine!

4 Likes

There have to be better and less harmful sources to promote through the reach of Boingboing.

She doesn’t need the pagehits or the implied credibility.

2 Likes

I just came here to see Food Babe get slammed.

8 Likes

Gotta say, I’m kind of shocked at how blase you’re being about leaving anti-science (Food Babe promo) on BoingBoing. If BB articles are clearly uninformed then there ceases to be anything here for us. I come here because normally the articles fairly reliably distill wheat from chaff, and for the same reason I do not go to Natural News. Don’t be another Natural News. Don’t be “bored” with scientific literacy and editorial reputation.

If an issue is genuine, you can address it via a reputable, or merely scientifically literate perspective. If you can’t do that, it has no place on BB (or I have no place on BB, or you need an editor.)

User comments above about why an anti-foaming agent might be in cooking oil - that was interesting! Different regulatory systems potentially making it harder to know as much about the ingredients in UK fries, that’s interesting too! Research that stuff, make an article about that. Not this inane fluff about how this apple list isn’t the same as that orange list so OMG! Evil afoot!

11 Likes

FUD spewer you say?

1 Like

I didn’t realize that pres1 was actually David Mitchell:

1 Like

I never heard of Food Babe until today, and I heard loud and clear from kind Boing Boing readers that Food Babe is not a reliable source of information. So I added a No Follow link to Food Babe. I added an update about Food Babe on the post. If that’s not good enough for you, too bad. Remain shocked if it makes you happy.

13 Likes

Look, if a modern gastromist made a hamburger out of worms and vac packed and sous vided it, seared it with a carbon dioxide laser and served with a pickle infused reverse gelatin on a hand made bun. The same people complaining about McD’s would pay 30 bucks for it.

EDIT: Reverse Gelatin. A way of making a heat stable gell that melts in your mouth but not on the bun.

5 Likes

When I read “It’s likely you ingest more of it when…” that is really not where I thought you were going!

1 Like

You really have to wonder just how far ‘out there’ food babe is if BoingBoing readers think she’s too crazy for them when it comes to playing it safe with food.

1 Like

I’ve always thought that McDonald’s had decent web design, but then I looked at the McGodforsaken excuses for design that are the US and UK sites… holy shit. they need to pick up their game!

US

UK

AUS

10 points Australia, because it’s responsive:

3 Likes

Ha…that first picture is a directly influenced by the Book “Modernist Cuisine”
http://modernistcuisine.com/

And I think it’s probably a tie about who uses more ‘magic powders’.

2 Likes