Use 50ml chemistry beakers as shot glasses

I dunno, drinking out of lab glass doesn’t seem very sexy. I’ll pass in favor of traditional glasses.

Pyrex or bust!

OT: I hate it when measuring devices don’t start at 0.

1 Like

Can’t you just 3d-glassblow your own Erlenmeyers nowadays?

1 Like

I prefer a 5000 mL boiling flask, myself.

1 Like

Damn, clearly not designed for lefties.

2 Likes

I use mine to measure ground coffee.

We’re all mad here.

Yeah, if you want to do alchemy.

Nice.

In this case it’s a way of telling you that it isn’t a good device for accurately measuring less than the lowest number, and one should use the next size down. It’s for chemistry. Significant digits and and all that.

3 Likes

I tried using one for OJ but it made the juice taste like the black rubber stopper - so I got the more expensive neoprene stopper, and OJ that tasted like a wetsuit.

Ultimately, I decided that getting used to drinking out of lab ware is a really bad idea, and it doesn’t work all that well for the purpose either. Just say no to beakers as shot glasses.

4 Likes

If you want to avoid flavor contamination; go all glass. Ground glass joints work surprisingly well; and you can get glass stoppers to suit more or less anything you could get a rubber stopper for.

Teflon is also an option; I leave the question of whether it is safe for food contact to the experts; but nobody accused what they sometimes accuse it of leaching of tasting bad.

Natural cork stoppers, my friend!

Considering that many people interested in this will have some connection to chemistry, I have to call this a rather terrible idea.

As a fellow southpaw that annoys me too, but I’ve learned to accept that the coffee mug industry is one of those that mostly still thinks in right-handed terms.

1 Like

Unfortunately, my flask was not made with a ground glass joint taper, so not suitable ground glass stopper with standard taper. :cry:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.