User Inyerface: collecting every "dark pattern" of web design in one place

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/03/click-here.html

1 Like

Dark pattern is way too cool of a name for “intentionally the worst we can offer”

13 Likes

That was, strange…

8 Likes

“dark pattern”

Good name for a band.

6 Likes

Wow…that was one of the most frustrating things I have ever done. It certainly took a lot of effort to make something so bad.

4 Likes

That was … disturbingly average. I think it’s because I seem to hit sites with many of those characteristics on a weekly basis.

The CAPTCHAs weren’t nearly as hard as Google’s shitty ones, so I zipped right through those. (I’m convinced Google figured out that I’m actually a robot.) They didn’t even make me re-enter my email address twice while hiding both fields so I couldn’t compare them.

You’ll have to try harder to annoy me, Web Cretins!

8 Likes

20 Likes

2 Likes

The age slider, and the captchas. Wow.

3 Likes

I must spend entirely too much time looking at shitty user interfaces because I blazed through it pretty fast.

5 Likes

23 Likes

Thanks, I hate it.

10 Likes

I could only bear to get through three clicks. Life is short enough.

4 Likes
9 Likes

3 Likes

I’m genuinely impressed.

2 Likes

… or a goth granny quilting circle.

4 Likes

00:07:14

Not too shabby. That was fun, in a maddeningly frustrating sort of way. Also, it’s an advert for employment at the company that made it, which is interesting.

2 Likes

I tried it on my phone and gave up after some 30 seconds. It was just too unusable.

5 Likes

Same w/ my phone.

Firefox mobile w/ blokada and a bunch of custom host files. I think there might be an interaction with cosmetic filtering.

2 Likes