Utah lawyer says his religious beliefs are more important than sick people who use medical cannabis

My religion says his religious beliefs (or more likely financial beliefs) can blow me.
FSM_lightingablunt

10 Likes

You can have a civil society or a theocracy.

7 Likes

Your point about the majority of religions being both deistic and theistic is certainly valid, but “all” means “all”; it doesn’t mean “most of”. You’re defending an honest mistake the original author has already corrected.

I’m a fan of reason and logic, and above even those, empiricism. Which is a big part of why I’m religious.

As you’ve pointed out, “religion” varies widely, so that statement doesn’t make sense to me since there is nothing inherent in religion in general that entails or enhances reason, logic or empiricism. If, instead, you were to say “I’m a fan of reason and logic, and above even those, empiricism. Which is a big part of why I’m [insert name of specific religion that embodies reason, logic and empiricism]” then your statement would make sense. You can’t just claim logic and reason as a justification for “religion”.

2 Likes

Hmm, maybe I was guilty of fudging the same line I objected to others eliding! :frowning:

Honestly you and I have had so many philosophical arguments now I figured you’d remember mine; foolishly ascribing more weight to my maunderings than they had, I guess. It’s good to be humbled occasionally so I’ll thank you for that.

Anyway, I have observed that having a religion is empirically useful for experiencing a happy and fullfilled life. Religious beliefs can be a source of great strength and resilience, and religious communities can be mutal aid societies that satisfy many human social instincts. So, I used reason and logic to determine the best religious belief system - taking into account my needs, human capacities and the physical facts of reality as we currently know them - and then I found a church where those beliefs are accepted and celebrated. Thus I’m a pantheist, essential monist variety for the most part, an ordained Universalist minister, and a member of the local Unitarian Universalist church.

Nothing I believe is inconsistent with observed reality. If it were, I’d evolve my views.

I read in theology a lot. For about 40 years now. My grandfather had a vast religious library.

2 Likes

Cool pic bro. But FSM won’t really take off until its followers come up with some better stories.

15 Likes

BEST. INTERNET. GRAPHIC. EVER.

4 Likes

Actually a badly hacked together pic but thanks anyway. As for FSM taking off, I’m not sure that’s really a goal of anyone aspiring to follow an idea founded on a satirical nose thumbing at entrenched religion.

1 Like

Right, thanks anyway.

2 Likes

all of a sudden I can’t unsee the shape of god’s entourage area as the shape of a human brain, with the feet and that teal scarf as the brain stem…

also Lol.

2 Likes

Great GIF!
How about an alternative version, just to cover all the bases?

3 Likes

Love the gif though.

Buddhists and Jains are rare?

World wide you have a point. I tend to think of the Abrahamic religions first. Jainism is pretty small, but not that much smaller than Judaism, which is way, way smaller than Buddhism.

He can put up Zion Curtains in his windows

1 Like

Of those possibilities, which one would you suppose fits the description of being able to heal the sick through topical application? My knowledge is limited but it seems clear enough that only one of the possible plants has been demonstrated to heal via topical application. Also, a bit of logic might help. We know they had hemp. We know that hemp produces a lot of seeds. We know that hemp seeds produce a lot of oil. That sounds like a natural fit.
Then there is the clue that a version of the plant grew locally but the imported version was used for medicine and anointing oil. In other words, rope hemp is essentially the same plant as what would be found growing in nearby India but the Indian variety is more potent and aromatic.

That’s what you’re supposed to see.

2 Likes

“Thou shalt have no other gods before me” does not seem to imply the non-existance of other gods, just their inferiority.

1 Like

So Michelangelo is saying God is like, all in my mind?! Duuude, I fuckin’ knew it.

1 Like

More like “we made God in our image,” but close enough.

2 Likes