Utah neighborhood uses decoy packages on porch to discourage thieves

Durn commies. Workin’ things.

4 Likes

I’m down with Chuck Ives, too.

1 Like

Well, except it is in Utah near Salt Lake City so the population in it is likely to be something like 60-80% Mormons.

3 Likes

yeah, FTFA:

And some people want to use the idea to actually catch thieves, so they’re installing tracking devices on the boxes.

Yeah, a cow pie.

1 Like

Cassette tapes. Glen Beck books from the thrift store. Soap and shampoo you took from Motel 6.

2 Likes

A couple of real rocket scientists here were following an Amazon delivery truck. He’d stop and deliver, they’d stop and steal the packages. Perhaps not surprisingly, the driver noticed and called the cops. The best part is that they had a to-do list with them that included “steal packages”

6 Likes

I know a guy who every year takes a HUGE box of cat turns, wraps in the most shiny, expensive paper he can find, and leaves it on his car in a parking lot when he goes shopping.

Merry Christmas, asshole.

Gawd I hate thieves.

7 Likes

Fucking Chicago Mormons, amirite!

3 Likes

What I’m saying it’s not an intentional community, where you subscribe to a set of beliefs to join that community.

Example: Wasatch Commons, also near SLC: http://www.ic.org/directory/wasatch-commons/

Ew! :smile:

I spent five long years behind the Zion Curtain and my mom lives in SLC. I’ve only been back twice in 23 years.

My kitties approve!

1 Like

It would be foolish to ignore the possibility of an insider threat; but(unless this community is atypically car-hostile or just plain fortified) it is pretty trivial for somebody to case a neighborhood for packages by just driving around at the appropriate time; and anyone doing so has a strong economic interest in hitting the most upscale neighborhood that they think they can get away with.

Could be some local, could be someone from outside harvesting them.

I’m not quite sure why people would bother with fake boxes when the cost of just pointing a camera at your front porch and discovering the truth is so low.

??? I was good-naturedly pointing out that the people in that neighborhood are naive enough to believe that they could effect an outcome in which the thieves would see the error of their ways and stop stealing. The Mormons I’ve known are very ethical and think in that way, which is sweet but really, that’s not how thieves are going to react.

It’s true that not everyone in Utah is Mormon, but the way the neighborhood was described, it sounded very Mormon in temperament.

3 Likes

Sounds like a good way to come back to a huge unwrapped pile of cat turds all over your car.

2 Likes

Nope. You don’t unwrap what you steal right then. You take it home so there is no chance of getting busted mid-unwrap.

3 Likes

I’d err in favour of just a handful of places and putting cameras there. Find out who did the deeds. Forward footage to relevant authorities.

Yes!..
Oh er, damn, I thought you said marmite there, for a second…