#VanLife influencer disappears and boyfriend refuses to talk to police

Once he had a lawyer, he should have met with the police if he did not want to be seen as guilty.

8 Likes

It’s aliens.
/s

This remains the case in the UK.

Our beneficent government simply decided that on top of the usual and traditional pitfalls of being interviewed by the police, they should add an additional hurdle.

The “oh, you say you didn’t commit the crime because you were 200 miles away being awarded an OBE by the Queen for your work with pet rehoming charities? Why didn’t you mention that before, that sounds fishy” hurdle.

But for the avoidance of doubt, the general advice still holds in the UK:

Don’t talk to cops without a lawyer. And when you’ve got a lawyer, follow their advice.

5 Likes

There is a fourth possibility. The pair of them have contrived the disappearance to boost their media profile. While it would be terrible if they have done this, it somehow still seems less terrible than the more obvious violent scenarios.

5 Likes

The Jekkyll and Hyde Police problem. When are they the hero, when are they the bad guys, what if they are both sometimes???

On one hand we have the police investigating a person gone missing after a report of domestic violence! This is important and obviously the partner is suspect #1. If you were watching this on TV you would root for the cops, right?

On the other hand we have a man whose guilt was never proven and I am pretty certain nobody here holds or has observed any serious proof either. His legal obligations are limited and he certainly has the right only to speak to the cops and the press (or you!!) through a lawyer if he so chooses.

Some people also seem to miss the essential fact that Mr. (…) Laundrie was the victim (…) in the alleged (!) domestic. Strictly speaking he is suspect of nothing as no sign of any crime he might have committed exists at all.

Has anybody considered the possibility that they just decided to give each some space for a while, she did a bunk to somewhere private to deal with her demons, and he is trying to keep the nosey busybodies out?

Me, I prefer to stay on the sideline in debates like this. Nobody here knows what happened, nobody can know, we don’t know reliable any source is, we don’t know how well or bad the police are performing… Who Knows?

6 Likes

You’re right be be confused. An insta influencer who doesn’t want publicity? Pshaw. But then again, the pressures of being always on can be unbearable. Maybe she had had enough.

< whynotboth.gif >

That flow chart is great, thanks! It reminds of the video here a couple years ago of the lawyer who was pulled over, and when she wouldn’t say anything to the cop, he arrested her and first words were, “you have the right to remain silent.” I didn’t realize at the time that you have to explicitly invoke the right to remain silent. Good to know.

More on topic, I hope this lady is okay. Seems very suspicious, though.
But our household knows ACAB, so I definitely don’t fault anyone for invoking their right to council and to remain silent. I’m sure everyone here agrees that if this guy did something, we hope it’s discovered and he is held accountable, but again, ACAB. It sucks, but that’s how it is here.

11 Likes

While trying to get some sleep last night, I was mulling this over.

My guess is that they weren’t getting along, but were very committed to making it to the marriage part, thinking it would result in a large number of followers. That might be why they were so insistent to the cop investigating the domestic assault to let things go.

6 Likes

Here’s hoping for a balloon boy scenario, but ~1 month is a very long time to go radio silent, especially for an aspiring influencer.

6 Likes

I question the domestic assault part. According to the fiancé, she slapped him. That’s what a woman does when she’s overwhelmed by what someone is doing or saying to her, to get them to stop. That’s not the same thing as punching him, kicking him, hitting him with something, etc. So whatever they were arguing about, what they both said she did wouldn’t be considered assault.

6 Likes

I’ve spent most of my adult life as either a serial monogamist or a polyamorist, which means a lot of years and, unfortunately, a lot of arguments. Yet I have never been slapped by anyone other than my mom. Hitting is hitting.

5 Likes

22 Likes

I’d have guessed the number was a bit over half, to be sadly honest.

3 Likes

It’s probably higher, because lots of women never report abuse or believe they deserve it because they slap back while they were being threatened by a partner.

14 Likes

Slapping can be considered assault. The law varies from place to place. Even when it doesn’t rise to the level of assault, it can still be a criminal offense.

2 Likes

Unwanted physical contact in anything other than self-defense is always wrong. And slapping is not the same as punching. Attempting to rebuke that simple second fact, which is in no way incompatible with the first simple fact, with the tautology “hitting is hitting” is a non-sequitur.

10 Likes

Sure. The laws are always written fairly, after all… and applied fairly too. I’m sure there has never been a case where an assault law was used against the actual victims of abuse for defending themselves, after all. /s

Right? Context matters. Not all hitting is the same kind of hitting.

15 Likes

I completely agree with you. Indeed, women often get the short end of stick when it comes to prosecuting these sorts of things and there is a wide gulf between a slap and a punch meant to intimidate and create fear.

I was just pointing out to chgoliz that slapping can be a criminal offense and in some cases even assault. Fair? Probably not, but I am not a lawyer.

2 Likes

I didn’t intend to imply that that was the case in the slightest. However, striking another person in anger is still a rather bright line for me.

CNN is reporting a body has been found in the area they’ve been searching. They are reporting an FBI press conference at the top of the hour.

9 Likes