Vans sneakers boycotted in Hong Kong after they pulled a protest-themed shoe design from public competition

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/07/vans-boycotted-in-hong-kong-af.html

1 Like

So now I need to stop buying Vans, I am officially out of sneaker providers that are ethical.

4 Likes

A good point… maybe these will help? I’ll have to check them out and see if they are actual ethical and sustainable or if it’s just some green washing…

Also, affordability might be an issue…

5 Likes

I checked, it turns out a lot of Vans are made in China.

Imagine the pressure that the Chinese government could provide to turn a company’s decisions against something. Imagine what China could do if they wanted to punish a company, under the table; especially with the weak IP protections and the current tariff environment. Factories wouldn’t take their orders (because they are too busy producing counterfits); shipments don’t get approved, cargo gets lost.

Don’t like it? Sorry, can’t hear you over the lack of footwear being made in the USA…

(Honestly, it barely seems like something that we can blame Vans for; any company in their situation would have done the same… or just ensured that it lost. They did what they had to do to enable the survival of their company; not like Donnie boy would have went to bat for them…)

" we have never taken a political position

Until now.

4 Likes

https://oceanservice.noaa.gov/facts/plimsoll-line.html

no sinking feeling here yet

That’s van nice of you.

1 Like

I’m boycotting Vans right now.

1 Like

Vans are sneaky heels.

1 Like

“As a brand that is open to everyone, we have never taken a political position and therefore review designs to ensure they are in line with our company’s long-held values of respect and tolerance, as well as with our clearly communicated guidelines for this competition”

Condenses to:
As a brand, we have taken a political position and review designs to ensure they are in line (with the CPC), who we respect and tolerate.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.