Vast Humble Comics Bundle

[Permalink]

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again; the comic bundles are not worthy of a Humble Bundle. Every other bundle you get a bunch of complete products - loads of books, full games, etc. With these comics they’re just giving the first or maybe the first couple in a series. It’s the equivalent of having to pay for a game demo.

Humble Bundle is a great business; it’s good for the game makers, book writers and the charities they support. They just announced that they’ve raised over $50 million for charity not too long ago. All that’s fantastic, but these comics bundles are disingenuous deals.

Your argument is not without merit, but could apply to nearly all serialized media. Here’s what you get for the maximum tier ($15):

• Alice Cooper #1-2
  • American Flagg! #1-6
  • Bob’s Burgers #1-3 (Plus 3 more copies of #1 to share)
  • Chaos! #2-3
  • Curse of the Wendigo
  • Dark Shadows: Year One #1-6
  • Dead Irons Vol. 1 (This represents multiple issues)
  • Dean Koontz’s Frankenstein: Prodigal Son #1-5
  • Devilers #1-4
  • Doodle Jump #1-4
  • Dresden Files: War Cry #1-5
  • Ex-Con #1
  • Hack/Slash/Eva: Monster’s Ball #1-4
  • Heart of the Beast
  • Kevin Smith’s Green Hornet #1
  • Kirby Genesis #0-8
  • Legenderry: A Steampunk Adventure #4-5
  • Mark Waid’s The Green Hornet #1-6
  • Monster War #1-4
  • Pathfinder #7-12
  • Patricia Briggs’ Mercy Thompson:Moon Called Vol. 1 & 2 (This represents multiple issues)
  • Queen Sonja #1-2
  • Red Sonja #7-10
  • Red Sonja: She-Devil with a Sword #0-6
  • Shaft #1
  • The Boys: Definitive Edition Vol. 1 (This represents multiple issues)
  • The Complete Dracula (This represents multiple issues)
  • The Living Corpse Omnibus (This represents multiple issues)
  • The Romita Legacy
  • The Warriors: Jailbreak #1-4
  • Twilight Zone #1-4
  • Uncanny #1-2
  • Zorro #1-6

I’m not including any of the free issues for the sake of brevity. :smile:

That’s something like 108 issues for $15, or approximately $0.14 an issue. It looks like there are several groups of four or more issues, which probably covers a short story arc completely.

Just a counterpoint, not trying to start a fight.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in this, but after the previous comic bundles I got, I despair at maintaining all those PDFs in any sort of usable fashion. I wish they had a deal with someone like Comixology so you keep them in a properly organised library, like they do with Steam.

Have already tried Google Books (buggy) or just copying individual files onto my table and use a PDF viewer (fiddly and opaque). If there are better ideas, I’d love to hear them.

Yeah, it’s a lot of comics, that’s true. But that’s like saying if a book bundle had 30 novels, but only offered up the first chapter, that it was an amazing deal because it offered like m

And those that offer issues 1-6, or even 1-4 are in line with the spirit of the bundle - it’s suposed to be about raising money for charity and supporting artists, and it seems that those who only put in one or two issues are more about raising money for themselves.

Calibre (wikipedia link) is ebook management software, it’s comprehensive and can do a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff (converting files between formats and such). IIRC, it is mostly platform-independent, so if you’re running one of the top 3 OSs, it’ll work.
I used another standalone app on my mac for managing my home library of paper books, but I haven’t messed with it in a long while and can’t recall the name at the moment–maybe someone else can chime in. That said, I’m sure Evernote or some other productivity app with that sort of functionality (reads multiple formats, allows searching, etc.) would work reasonably well.

EDIT: If you’re a hardcore library nerd type, you could also run Koha, which is basically library software (an ILS system that can import/export/manage bibliographic records and track checkins/checkouts, etc.).

1 Like

For comics on my iPad, I use Comic Zeal It’s pretty easy to use and tries to organize files into series for you. It’s super easy to do yourself as well. I usually import the CBZ files but it will accept PDF as well.

ComicRack is available for iOS and Android, and works well for cbz/cbr style comics. The Windows app does a good job of providing tools for organizing your collection so you can read by series, story arc, etc.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.