Venice is flooded right now and it looks miserable

That was definitely the fun part! Also, hilarious gondoliers!

1 Like

As we were sipping our 20 euro coffee, we remarked to each other: “We didn’t just buy expensive coffee. We bought expensive coffee HERE.”

4 Likes

At least someone was happy about the flood.

I’m definitely glad I’ve been there, but let’s be real- Venezia does not have much time left

1 Like

I caught a bad norovirus in Venice in 2016, and I am never, ever going back. I can smell the sewage through my web browser. Thats close enough for me.

4 Likes

My very first thought was man that’s going to smell even worse than normal.

Also, I’m voting for Venice to be the next Atlantis. Its odds on, but I gather Miami Beach and even Miami will give it a run for its money. NYC might be in the running.

2 Likes

Don’t most Italian cafes have a separate, much cheaper price list for customers standing at the bar?

Oh c’mon, ya don’t got any hope in raising the sidewalks?

Price list? You mean something posted where it is actually visible? In Venice?

(ETA: actually, I do recall seeing a posted price list at one cafe in Venice, maybe at Del Doge.)

Sounds like it’s time for people to get out of Doge.

5 Likes

Want to hear something sad?

I noticed that building lots that didn’t have a good ROGO credit on the Florida Keys were somewhat less expensive than you would otherwise imagine several years ago. I looked into it, and it turns out that the process for getting a ROGO permit to build on a property in the Keys takes about 30 years if you don’t bribe your way to the front of the line. I considered this since I was planning on retiring in about 30 years, seemed legit.

But then I had to make a decision if I thought there was a good chance that the Keys would (a) be habitable and (b) be above water in 30-50 years, when I was planning on using the property.

Yeah, I didn’t buy the property…

1 Like

I had the pleasure of briefly visiting Venice in the mid 80s. One thing that was unnerving about it was that there weren’t any handrails between the edge of sidewalks and the canals – or, depending on where you were, the ocean. That meant that if, for whatever reason, you couldn’t watch where you were going, you could walk straight off the edge into the water. It also meant that you could get splashed by waves.

At the time I went, it was summer and not flooding. But if it did flood, the water could get murky. Out of curiosity, have they put in any sort of barriers between the sidewalks and the canals since then?

(Edited for clarity)

…but levels were far lower than the 1.94 meters (6ft 4in) in the devastating November 1966 flood.

not anymore; yesterday it was with 1.87 cm just 7 cm short of the 1966 flooding…and it aint over yet.

2 Likes

Some canals have walls or fences (example), but Venice relies on the canals for transport so they can’t be fenced off everywhere.

The water at least looks to be pretty sewage and debris free allowing people to wade through pretty safely. That’s not the case for most cities when they flood. I wonder if Venice has laws that help that aspect of flooding since they are pretty used to it happening.

As one of the millions of people who knows what Venice smells like in the summertime I can assure you that the water flowing through those canals—and currently, the streets—is most decidedly NOT sewage-free. At best it’s “more diluted than usual.”

4 Likes

As @Brainspore said, that’s simply not the case. But I’m curious to know what sort of laws you think could help keep sewage out of the water in these situations? The city has around 260,000 residents, and they all continue to produce waste whether or not the city is flooded. Keeping that waste out of the canals would require some impressive infrastructure that somehow stored sewage in tanks that were above the high water level. Getting ground floor toilets to flow into such tanks would be quite challenging.

2 Likes

When I saw the video of the guying swimming in Piazza San Marco it made me a little ill, and I can’t decide whether it was from sadness over the damage or memories of the water’s smell:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.