Dolphins are taking over Venice canals while Italians are in quarantine

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/19/dolphins-are-taking-over-venic.html

8 Likes

Hopefully this serves as an alert to the ecological damage we are doing to the planet. Once we exit quarantine and pollution levels begin to return, will we be shocked or will we be back to business as usual?

19 Likes

It’s because the dolphins before leaving the Earth, are making a visit to Venice.

43 Likes

As the article states, this isn’t really much about the level of water pollution. Presumably most Venetians are still flushing their toilets and untreated sewage is still going into the canals. The water clarity from reduced sediment stirring is probably part of it, but I wonder if the bigger reason for dolphins returning is the reduction in noisy and potentially dangerous boat traffic. I’ll bet you’d be likely to see a lot more wildlife strolling along freeways if the car traffic suddenly disappeared. (And the way things are going, maybe we’ll find out)

21 Likes

Also:

16 Likes

Plus at least one of the stills isn’t from Venice at all but from Cagliari in Sardinia:

(Though still coronavirus-related- the dolphins can come up to the ferry slip because the ferries aren’t running).

11 Likes

I assume with the rise in water levels, Venetians will soon have basement dolphins.

26 Likes

I hope Venice continues the good things that this quanentine is causing. We are seeing what is possible when we put our effort into it.

3 Likes

Apparently Douglas Adams got it wrong. It’s not the hyper-intelligent dolphins who are leaving the Earth, it’s the dumb ass humans.

So long!

4 Likes

“Basement dolphin” will henceforth be my euphemism for my, well, you know…

21 Likes

For your subterranean cetacean, yes, we read you loud and clear.

10 Likes

He means “porpoise.”

8 Likes

I wonder how long American cities will have to remain on lockdown before we start seeing bison herds reclaiming the streets.

7 Likes

As soon as this guy stops scaring them off.

6 Likes

Sorry, but dolphins are NOT in the Venetian canals. The one depicted in the article is in Sardinia. Honestly, the lagoon is too shallow for them to get back out to sea even if they did manage to make it in.

Please read this article for more accurate reporting:

4 Likes

So long, and thanks for all the Murano Glass Chandeliers…

11 Likes

Dolphins in Venice are just checking out their new digs when global warming finishes with us.

3 Likes

So it begins…

10 Likes

Oh, my! Like John Lilly and Margaret Lovatt had in their Dolphin House?
“Let’s go down in the basement and get down with the dolphin!”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/scientists-dolphins-lsd-communitcate-with-them-experiment-talk-john-lilly-margaret-howe-lovatt-a7787556.html
EDIT: formatting

5 Likes
8 Likes