Venice is flooded right now and it looks miserable

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/11/12/venice-is-flooded-right-now-an.html

1 Like

2 Likes

Someone needs introduce Itialians to paddleboards. Finally a useful function for the things!

4 Likes

Water is 70 cm deep in San Marco. It happened 12 times in the past thousand years, 3 times in the last 20 years. There is an anti-tide system (MOSE), to build it they burnt 5 billion EUR and it’s completely useless.

15 Likes

continuing to dog Italy

I see what you did there…

3 Likes

this is clearly god taking vengeance on cafes for taking advantage of tourists.

6 Likes

Bonus: that water they’re wading through contains raw sewage!

https://www.businessinsider.com/how-the-venice-sewer-system-works-2012-11

16 Likes

so you too have experienced a cafe bill in Venice?

5 Likes

and way cheaper to upkeep than almost any other marine vessel.

1 Like

I thought it should be;

6 Likes

At least that doggo is having fun…

1 Like

“Department of transportation, sewage and recreation—how may I direct your call?”

8 Likes

I well remember paying 20 Euro to sip a tablespoon of so-so espresso while observing pigeons and the Campanile. Was it worth it? Sure. Once. Not doing it again.

8 Likes

Bad weather is continuing to dog Italy, with no real let-up forecast for several days millennia.

Fixed that for you.

2 Likes

To be fair to Venice, it’s miserable even when the water doesn’t come up to your knees.

1 Like

Bad weather is continuing to dog Italy, with no real let-up forecast for several days centuries.

1 Like

Yep! Totally gnasty…

1 Like

I thought Venice was always flooded. Isn’t that kind of it’s claim to fame?

1 Like

Ah not to me. Venice is one of my most favorite places - even if it’s crowded with tourists and outrageously expensive. I love just wandering and getting deliberately lost among the narrow streets and alleys.

12 Likes

You’re not paying for the coffee. You’re paying to sit down.

11 Likes