Vermont bill would ban child marriage, making it just the seventh US state to do so

Originally published at: Vermont bill would ban child marriage, making it just the seventh US state to do so | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Child marriage is legal in 43 US states?

23 Likes

I just learned that in China you have to be at least 22 to get married without parental consent, which possibly is going slightly too far in the other direction. Guess my mom would have been considered a child bride there.

Edit: turns out in China it’s 22 for men, but 20 for women. Weird sexist BS having different ages based on gender.

8 Likes

looks around Wait till you see how free women are in America! /s

10 Likes

Where do the “Let kids be kids” assholes stand on this? I mean, that’s obviously a hypothetical question, as I already know the answer.

6 Likes

Guess it was a ‘different time’ back in the day for Elvis and a 15yo but time has proven us wrong with the ‘ever lasting love’.

Guess it was a ‘different time’ back in the day’ when Michael Jackson had sleep overs with children as a child like Peter Pan.

Guess it was a ‘different time’ for Jimmy Savile and Rolf Harris when ‘it’ wasn’t OK but everyone knew about it and didn’t do anything.

Thank god Vermont is leading the way by passing a bill to rectify a wrong that is now coming to light.

(do I really need to /s ?)

4 Likes

In the UK, the government has announced plans to raise the minimum age for marriage to 18 in England and Wales: currently, 16 and 17 year olds can marry with parental consent.

The changes will not affect Northern Ireland (where things will remain as they presently are in England & Wales).

Nor will they affect Scotland, where 16 year olds can marry without parental consent (hence the historical popularity of Gretna Green, just north of the Anglo-Scottish border, for eloping young couples).

The Scotland situation is an odd one: under Scots law, 16-year-olds are effectively adults for most purposes (to be technical, they have full legal capacity) – they have medical autonomy, and can marry, vote (in Scottish elections), and enter into contracts (with some extra protections until they turn 18).

4 Likes

Catholic marriage limit is 16 years for men and 14 for women. See can. 1083

https://www.vatican.va/archive/cod-iuris-canonici/eng/documents/cic_lib4-cann998-1165_en.html#CHAPTER%20II.

In Italy the newlyleds normally have to be at least 18 years old. The age requirement could be lowered to 16 if the newlyleds ask to a court if they have grave reasons and they’re sufficiently mature, and that means that for instance they are both workining and she’s pregnant or the kid is already born.
In 2020 there were ten cases, where the total number of marriages was 96841.

2 Likes

The world would be so much better off if the minimum age for marriage was 35.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.