Missouri Sen. Mike Moon called out for voting against bill to ban 12-year-olds from marrying adults

Originally published at: Missouri Sen. Mike Moon called out for voting against bill to ban 12-year-olds from marrying adults | Boing Boing

5 Likes

The GOP platform in a nutshell.

“12 year-old girls are old enough to get married and have kids, but they’re not mature enough to read about American history or make their own healthcare decisions.”

29 Likes

Season 5 What GIF by The Office

Try to process that response. He says institutional rape is great because it engenders loyalty. I…. can’t even.

27 Likes

If you read is later “explanation”, it really doesn’t help. It turns out, that the 12 year old he was referring to was a boy who got an 11 year old girl pregnant. They then married with their parents’ “consent” (in quotes because my God that sentence sucks), and remained married for 40 some years. The fact that he thought this helped clarify his remarks is just…I have no words.

21 Likes

Oof, yah, that’s… if not worse, a lateral move at best.

17 Likes

It’s really worse, if for no other reason than that it doesn’t explain why he voted against a law that prevents a 12 year old from marrying an adult. His example is irrelevant then, so why tf did he feel the need to share it?

22 Likes

I’m sure he wouldn’t feel the same about a parent seeking gender affirming care for their child, though.

28 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, that’s the very issue that started the exchange.

22 Likes

simon cowell facepalm GIF

20 Likes

I pretty much feel like Simon Cowell in that gif 24/7 these days. Occasionally, I shift to Bruce Banner “that’s my secret, Cap. I’m always angry.”

22 Likes

Sadly, I live in this mook’s district, and his heartwarming anecdote really hits all the inbred hillbilly stereotypes people harbor about the Missouri Ozarks. There are a few of us here who aren’t superstitious illiterate fundies or cousin-violators.

27 Likes

“Can those 12-year-olds at least get a basic primer on sex education in school before they get married?”

“HELL NO, SICKO! THAT’S WHAT THE HONEYMOON IS FOR!”

13 Likes

11 Likes

Yeah, the right love, love, love to talk about “groomers” while also doing shit like this because:

a) It’s always projection b) “groomer” doesn’t even mean anything to these people - as an insult it got a reaction, so now it’s used entirely without meaning c) right-wingers don’t actually give a shit about “protecting the kids,” it’s a false framing because “we’re protecting the patriarchy” doesn’t give you any moral high ground or resonate with anyone, even other conservatives (and certainly doesn’t allow you to use “groomers” as an insult).

Basically it’s layers of shittiness by the right.

Yep. Their own actions destroy their “protect the children!” framing of their policies. It’s not remotely plausible.

Hell, not even that - “limits subsequent life choices,” “engenders brainwashing…”

25 Likes

M-O-O-N
That spells statutory rape.

Hey, FBI? This guy right here.

14 Likes

25 Likes

Oh I know, but I think that’s what he thinks.

9 Likes

Every bill that’s fashioned to cut off criminal behavior at its knees — the GOP votes against. How else to vote when those very bills personally affect them.

6 Likes

If this hadn’t been in The Onion I wouldn’t have thought it was satire, and, truthfully, I’m still not sure it is satire.

11 Likes

internet what GIF

9 Likes